Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The only guns worth getting are the rifles that do not have the handgaurd modification. If it does not have the modification, it's just a moschetto missing the handgaurd. Axis arms a sponsor of gunboards has similar rifles missing the handgaurds for significantly less money.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only guns worth getting are the rifles that do not have the handgaurd modification. If it does have the modification, it's just a moschetto missing the handgaurd.
So the no handguard, no tab? Was thinking about grabbing one.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
So the no handguard, no tab? Was thinking about grabbing one.
Correct. If does not show signs of the tab it's original and worth picking up. I have 2 already otherwise I would have bought one. Also the rear sight is modified for the handgaurd. If it has the "cuts" in the base, it's been modified.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
That is a nice option. I got burned by DK on a prior order and it is going to take something very special to draw me back. They failed to follow through on a commitment made over the phone. It was the owner response when I called to place a follow up order that was a turn off. Mistakes happen. I never asked for a return or exchange. Instead of a thank you or sorry and we will try again, I got a fairly rude blow off.

For now, on Carcanos, I will stay with Axis. I did not know he was a sponsor. That is a win-win in my book.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I decided.to pass. They are listed as 'fair to good' which means they probably aren't that nice. For $329 I want a nice rifle.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I have had positive experience dealing with DK on other items, so I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from them if it was something I really wanted. Axis Arms is probably my favorite too. I might pay just a little more sometimes with Axis, but I always feel like I know what I’m going to get.

I wonder if they (PW Arms) just released another wave of the Cavalry Carbines. I got an email from J&G promoting them too. They weren‘t promoting anything different than they had previously, and their price is unchanged, but Carcano rifles hadn’t been part of their email campaign for a little while. It will be interesting to see if Classic, PSA, and some of the others start running Carcano promotions soon. I have a feeling that the cavalry carbines are going to hang around for a while.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Carcano I got from DK was significantly better than the one I got from Axis. But I'm sure it's all luck of the draw, so it's entirely possible to get a turd from them and I know some people did.

I put an order in. Will update on how it comes out.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I wasn't impressed with the last rifle I got from DK. It has multiple issues and I decided to part it out rather than try to fix the problems.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It’s all the luck of the draw from the sellers online that bought them by the pallet to sell. If they hand selected them, that’s another story. I’ve ordered Classic, J&G, DK, Dan’s, KyGunCo, and Axis. A couple of those places I bought multiples and some were really nice and one needed to be sent back.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It’s all the luck of the draw from the sellers online that bought them by the pallet to sell. If they hand selected them, that’s another story. I’ve ordered Classic, J&G, DK, Dan’s, KyGunCo, and Axis. A couple of those places I bought multiples and some were really nice and one needed to be sent back.

My nicest and worst example both came from kygunco. The 1936 Terni I sent back to them was in poor condition. Looked like it came out of Ethiopia even though I know it didn't. They replaced it with a very nice 1941 FNA Brescia.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I went to a gun show today and there was nothing Carcano except two antique Cavalry Carbines listed for $375 each. I was surprised there weren’t numerous Carcano rifles, particularly of the overpriced variety. There was no ammo, no clips, no slings, maybe one bayonet, and that’s all. I was there pretty early, so it’s not like all the Carcano stuff was already sold out. I’m not sure what conclusions to draw from that except Cavalry Carbines aren’t commanding a premium out in the real world right now.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My nicest and worst example both came from kygunco. The 1936 Terni I sent back to them was in poor condition. Looked like it came out of Ethiopia even though I know it didn't. They replaced it with a very nice 1941 FNA Brescia.
Out of three rifles I ordered from KyGunCo, I received a very good, good, and fair example. The fair had trench art and a bore that looked like a sewer pipe. I actually sold that at an in-person auction for $285. It did better than I expected considering all of the recent imports. I bought an M38 Moschetto a month later at the same auction house in very good+ condition for $300 🤷🏻‍♂️

The one I had to return was to DK. There were a couple issues but overall I was concerned about being safe to shoot. They were defensive at first which I completely understood because these are surplus rifles. After them receiving it back and actually inspecting it for themselves they replaced it with one of my nicest rifles with excellent markings. A very good example and cleaned up beautifully.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Carcano I got from DK was significantly better than the one I got from Axis. But I'm sure it's all luck of the draw, so it's entirely possible to get a turd from them and I know some people did.

I put an order in. Will update on how it comes out.
Update. I got my 1915 matching Brescia (type 2 sliding lock) Carcano. Haven't had much time with it, but so far quite pleased. Some rust and patina, but nothing too crazy. The stock is nice. Overall, I would even rate it as G-VG (perhaps I'm too generous :). Got lucky this time.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update. I got my 1915 matching Brescia (type 2 sliding lock) Carcano. Haven't had much time with it, but so far quite pleased. Some rust and patina, but nothing too crazy. The stock is nice. Overall, I would even rate it as G-VG (perhaps I'm too generous :). Got lucky this time.
Can’t wait to see pictures.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
That was a pretty quick turnaround. Looking forward to the pictures as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts