Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were asked by a late friend's widow to help sell his "8-10" Japanese rifles. When we arrived at the widow's home on our way home after a two week trip we found a few more than "8 or 10." We logged and hauled off 44 rifles that went home with a friend/B'zai member who will bring them to JAG in Louisville, KY next month. There are approximately 25-30 rifles left included a Mukden 99 which we may acquire on our next trip North. Among the goodies was a T-22 carbine, a Finnish-marked T 35, several nice 38s and early 99s with all the "goodies," two late 11th series Nagoyas w/o DC grooves and one late 11th 99??? SN "rope hole." There was also a Naval Special carbine. About half of the 38s and 99s had mums, but there were also a number of ground rifles.

On collection security there is a gadget called a "Burglar Bomb" (I think) It's a spring loaded housing that holds a can of pressured "nasty gas." (very nasty.) The device is mounted on a wall, door frame, etc. Don't remember the prescribed method of mounting, but I had to modify mine. When I leave the "gun room" I remove a safety pin holding the spring release plate in position. If the door is opened with the pin removed the spring release plate disengages, a spring loaded arm pushes down on the nozzle of the can of "nasty gas" and no one without a gas mask will touch your collection for at least 45-60 minutes. Don't ask me how I know it's "nasty gas" or the time it takes to clear the gas from a house! The "Bomb" has been advertised in SGN and/or The Gun Digest and costs around $70.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Revel Technology Inc. They can be reached at 800/235-6961, www.burglerbomb.com. One of the non-Japanese rifles in the collection mentioned above is a Norenco copy of the Browning .22 "take-down." I'd like to buy this, but don't know what to offer, what they originally sold for, any idea?

It's to each his own on guns in a safe vs. guns on the wall, but if I had to keep mine locked up out of sight I don't think I'd have over two or three. But maybe two-three are enough, T 30, 38 & a 99?

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"..step on toes." That would depend on the circumstances. If a person was selling his collection and told someone he could have first pick then for one of us to try to worm oneself in to cherry-pick would be major toe stepping. On the other hand if it was a widow trying to sell her late husband's collection and you offered a fair price for the items that caught your eye, you would be doing the person coming later a favor. He would have less items to deal with. In our case we do it as a favor to the families of passed friends/subscribers. Just MHO.

Many years ao a young collector was sitting with me behind my table at a Birmingham show. A guy walked up and asked if I was interested in a Nambu rig. Before I could say no (they were fishing line weights to me then) my young "friend" jumped up and said "I AM!"

He went home and called me the next day raising hell with me, when he disassembled the 14 he found that the locking block was missing. Behind my table, cutting in on a possible buy, then later raising hell with the table holder because he screwed himself. That's stepping on toes. Needless to say he was never offered a seat again.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,021 Posts
In this instance the grouping was already priced and certain Banzai members were coming in May, this was April, we didnt cherry pick as we knew the members and knew the widow had nothing to worry about with those members. We had been called in to purchase helmets and that was very disappointing as the deceased had been very trusting in his helmet sources and had been taken advantage of in the majority of his collection. The wife and family were nice people! But just as they had given us first crack at the helmets, I wanted to honor their arrangement with the next group. There is nothing worse than making a long trip with high expectations only to find the items sold before your arrival.

·
Registered
613 Posts
In this instance the grouping was already priced and certain Banzai members were coming in May, this was April, we didnt cherry pick as we knew the members and knew the widow had nothing to worry about with those members. We had been called in to purchase helmets and that was very disappointing as the deceased had been very trusting in his helmet sources and had been taken advantage of in the majority of his collection. The wife and family were nice people! But just as they had given us first crack at the helmets, I wanted to honor their arrangement with the next group. There is nothing worse than making a long trip with high expectations only to find the items sold before your arrival.
Just curious who the helmet sources were and what kind of helmets he had obtained?
Thanks, Scott

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crash, Probably the same collection. All Nambus gone, one holster and three mags left, few Japanese helmets. You would have been welcome to buy any rifle(s) you needed. Sure wish you went home with all those with the ground receivers - ha.

Talked at a dealer at the CO show a few weeks back. He buys every decent ground rifle he finds and strips them for parts, $150 stocks, $75 bolts, etc. I've parted a few dogs, but hate to part a nice rifle just because most collectors have become "flower" people and ground rifles won't sell.

Some where I asked about the price of a Norenco, 22 cal take-down Browning copy. Garfield's Dad looked it up, $200 NIB, VG $125. I'll buy it for $150 being the nice guy that I am - ha (on the nice guy, not the $150.)

·
Gold Bullet member
13,898 Posts
I bought one of the Norincos when they first came out for just under $100. It shoot well and looked pretty good. Still have it in fact. I think you are giving a generous amount and getting a pretty nice little rifle. The Brownings are really nice but expensive.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,021 Posts
Scott they wouldnt say who the source was, but over a hundred helmets and we bought perhaps ten, two of my partner had sold him years ago and we paid what he paid which is what the family wanted. I had a feeling that the K98s and helmets came from same source in Florida,,,but no specifics, just very sad and very disappointing. I did buy ten wooden scabbard last ditch bayonets, but left the guns alone,,pressure test rifle,,type 99 sniper,,38 sniper. He did much better sticking with Japanese.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,655 Posts
I'll be starting a thread with picts of the Japanese helmets tomorrow for Ronin. Hope you guys can help him with info.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Scott they wouldnt say who the source was, but over a hundred helmets and we bought perhaps ten, two of my partner had sold him years ago and we paid what he paid which is what the family wanted. I had a feeling that the K98s and helmets came from same source in Florida,,,but no specifics, just very sad and very disappointing. I did buy ten wooden scabbard last ditch bayonets, but left the guns alone,,pressure test rifle,,type 99 sniper,,38 sniper. He did much better sticking with Japanese.
I had for some reason completely forgot about this thread until the other was posted with pics. Sorry I did not reply in a timely manner. Did the 38 sniper have a mum? Would love to see pics if you feel like it. If not no big deal. There are guys who make really big money off of faking helmets. If he would have posted them here we could have helped him.
Scott

·
Gold Bullet member
1,021 Posts
Seems like it did but after having told the widow and family the horrible news about the family we didnt want to make offers on the Japanese items, they had them priced at market and had already been shown to have taken a huge loss, double decal ARMY FJ paratrooper helmet,,,bad,,,supposedly they are all gone with one guy on consignment,,,watch out! Didnt take any photos, impressive racks of Japanese rifles though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts