Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at a garage sale today and a guy said he had a German dagger but he wanted $17,500 for it. Curious,I asked to see it. Incredibly it was a real Diplomats dagger complete with hangers. Blade was marked Eickhorn. Overall in great shape but showed signs of tarnish .It was the silver one.I was going to take a picture but left my phone at home. I just wondered if he's off the mark on price. How many of these were actually made? By the way, it was no repro. I have had those and know what they look like. First time I saw one in the flesh !! All comments welcome, BB

·
1,172 Posts
Was at a garage sale today and a guy said he had a German dagger but he wanted $17,500 for it. Curious,I asked to see it. Incredibly it was a real Diplomats dagger complete with hangers. Blade was marked Eickhorn. Overall in great shape but showed signs of tarnish .It was the silver one.I was going to take a picture but left my phone at home. I just wondered if he's off the mark on price. How many of these were actually made? By the way, it was no repro. I have had those and know what they look like. First time I saw one in the flesh !! All comments welcome, BB
no need to go back there.

·
Banned
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are they worth ?? How many were actually made? he said he looked up "German Dagger" on the internet and saw one of these for $17,500. Then he sells me a WW2 PPK for $75. . No telling about people. B

·
Registered
659 Posts
IMO: $17,500 is about 4 times what they generally sell for**. Where people like this get their pricing ideas is beyond me.
Jim
**And that's if it is in fact legit and if it hasn't been messed with. I would NEVER buy a dagger in this price range without have it reviewed by others for their opinions. There's a LOT of fakery with these daggers as there is with a lot of 3rd Reich stuff.

·
1,172 Posts
Wittmann is easily 2x retail and how do you know its not a GO as opposed to a Diplo?. If so the GO in real retail is 4500.00 and the hangers 2k, for 6500.00 retail. If a diplo its maybe 8k plus hangers for 10k. Those are retail numbers and your talking to Gomer Pyle in his garage and he is 17,500.00 because he saw it on T.V, so it must be true.

Take the PPK and leave, because anyone with a sense of market will know that edged weapons are boat anchors here.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thank Vid for the much needed dose of reality as I assumed it was a GO (No way to tell which way the head is pointing). And I continue to believe that buying a dagger of this type from "Gomer Pyle" at a garage sale would probably be a huge mistake. And this is from a long time dagger collector who is well familiar with the current market which is still in the sewer. In the time I spent at the SOS earlier this year I saw very few dagger sales.
Jim

·
1,172 Posts
Diplo has the head on the crossguard facing the opposite the hilt or grip eagle. The GO faces the same way. Couple other things as well pertaining to a maker of one not doing the other. Enough to muddy things a bit and not a situation you want to really want to jump into unless you know exactly what your looking at. And an edumacated seller with one of them new fangled computers and its just too easy to make a mistake and get killed. I would have had to make a call to confirm and then lowball it to at least 25% of his number.

·
1,172 Posts
Thank Vid for the much needed dose of reality as I assumed it was a GO (No way to tell which way the head is pointing). And I continue to believe that buying a dagger of this type from "Gomer Pyle" at a garage sale would probably be a huge mistake. And this is from a long time dagger collector who is well familiar with the current market which is still in the sewer. In the time I spent at the SOS earlier this year I saw very few dagger sales.
Jim
Easy to confuse the two and the numbers, and your right, its just not the piece you want to play at a garage sale unless you know and control the deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.