Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a .308 Garand recently as I've always wanted an M1 but wanted to avoid having to keep up with yet another caliber. Anyways, price was right and its a very good shooter, only problem is it shoots a little bit high. Not terribly so but I would like to correct it. I have the rear sight cranked as low as possible so I am wondering if there is such a thing as a taller front sight for the Garand? If so anyone know where I might find one?

Thanks in advance :D.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
What distance are you shooting it?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
200 yards, I usually need to maintain a six oclock hold to hit, prefer to hold dead center. Like I said, a little high but not too bad.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Chances are high that your front sight has been cut down at some point by someone that had to fix the opposite problem.
From bottom of base to top tip of rear of sight blade should be very close to .728". Sight should have a very slight taper to the front. If yours is shorter than this, easy fix as all you will most likely need is a spec part. If same or taller, then you have issues and will need to look for a part that exceeds spec size.

Hopefully this will give you a starting point.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for that, RH Scott. I took my calipers to it and I believe someone filed/cut down my front sight as mine is around .700".

So, where can I find a new front sight? :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Try Amherst Depot, Fulton Armory, Gun Parts Corp, Sarco Inc and or Springfield Armory Inc for a new sight.
Call them and ask about the ones they have with your issue or you could wind up with one shorter.
Local gun show is also a good spot, just take your calipers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts