Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a really, really nice Steyr M95 carbine (that like an idiot I sold) and it had the short rear sight leaf, and the buttplate curved slightly at the top like a Mauser. My brother has an M95 carbine that has a long rear sight leaf, and the buttplate is flat (no curve at top). What is the difference?

·
Registered
110 Posts
The long sight leaf signifies conversion from a rifle to a carbine.
Mc

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which one would be called a "stutzen"?

·
Registered
913 Posts
which one would be called a "stutzen"?
That depends on the sling swivel configuration:
side swivels only=karabiner
bottom swivels only=stutzen
both bottom and side swivels= stutzenkarabiner or karabinerstutzen
(IIRC, stutzenkarabiners have band spacing like a stutzen and a fixed side loop on the lower band while karabinerstutzens have carbine band spacing and a side swivel on the lower band).

There, clear as mud!

-Devo

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got it! Mine was a Karabiner. Beautiful gun...I'm trying to get it back from the guy I sold it to, who has told me he'll never shoot it (and isn't a collector anyhow) but just doesn't really want to get rid of it. I've got to figure a way to make him want to get rid of it!

·
Super Moderator
11,698 Posts
..IIRC, stutzenkarabiners have band spacing like a stutzen and a fixed side loop on the lower band while karabinerstutzens have carbine band spacing and a side swivel on the lower band...
The other way around: karabinerstutzen is a stutzen with added karabiner sling swivels/bars. Stutzenkarabiner is a karabiner with added stutzen sling swivels. The side sling attachment can be either a swivel or a bar.

A pure karabiner will not have a bayonet lug and a stacking rod. A karabiner with these features (bayonet lug & stacking rod) is called karabiner mit oberem stutzenring = carbine with upper stutzen band. These features were added to 99.99% of all carbines shortly after WWI began.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Nick,

Thanks for straightening that out in a way that I might actually be able to remember!

Kind regards,

Devo

·
Registered
950 Posts
Not to mention the transitional stutzen with bottom rotating swivel, no wrist side swivel, and a band with a bar and lower swivel.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have not heard of variations in the buttplate before for M95 straight-pulls. I wonder if anyone else noticed this? All the M95 I checked have the same style buttplates. Trying to visualize what you are describing.... (?) Different Mausers have different buttplates, too.

·
Super Moderator
11,698 Posts
Not to mention the transitional stutzen with bottom rotating swivel, no wrist side swivel, and a band with a bar and lower swivel.
Here is a true stutzen in 8x50 (bottom, Steyr 1902) compared with a carbine (top, Bulgarian 1904 Steyr):

Rotating swivel:

·
Super Moderator
11,698 Posts
.. Trying to visualize what you are describing...
Check them on the inside and you will see. I have seen 3 different ones, but Prez1981 reported (and showed) 4 variations.

·
Registered
950 Posts
There are four varieties of buttplates. They are different on the back side that is hidden when mounted on the stock. One is solid, one is hollow, one has a large rectangular hollow area, and the other is hollow with a reinforcing bar down the middle. There are also slight differences in the countour of the top of the buttplate as well, but I haven't nailed that one down yet.

The rear sights, cocking pieces, and handguards also vary from early to late models.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mine was like the top one in the photo in the last post. I've got to figure a way out to bring it back home :D

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thanks, Nick, Prez. The original post by ak4ka commented on the flat vs curved contours of the buttplate which was not familiar to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts