Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed some differences in my two 24/47's.

In this picture, you can see that the top rifle has a wider rear band than the bottom rifle, and there's about 1/8" further between the bands.

In this picture you can see that the handguard on the top rifle seems to come up higher at the rear sight than the bottom rifle. At first I thought maybe the top rifle was in an m48 stock, but the m48 handguard comes up even higher, and the lower band on it is even wider.

Any thoughts on the differences? What's funny is the stamped serial numbers on the rifles are only 73 apart (3121 and 3194).

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Does the top one's rear band have a swivel on the side as well, or the remains of a swivel? Seem to recall seeing the wider, rounded rear band on M24 carbines which had dual side and bottom mounted swivels.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, only bottom swivels front and rear.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
In my last "Threefer" from Century I got one of the wide bands with a turned down bolt handle (reputedly an M-48 bolt) and two with the narrow grooved K-98 style.

It seems that the Yugo Armorers used whatever they had on hand to refurbish / repair, and that there were several varieties that they had to work from. So they mixed and matched salvaged parts with new ones they were making up for the M-48s (like the barrels, which most of the 24/47s seem to have) so frequently these rifles that we get that are generically known as "24/47s" are more often than not of mixed lineage, and cross bred at best.

On the basis of what I've read here and other forums, the "Carbines" were the same length as the rifles, only they had side mounted slings and turned down bolt handles - which are different from the M-48 bolts, and don't seem to turn up very often for some strange reason.

During "refurbishment" following WW-II, those carbines had the side mounting sling swivels removed; sometimes you will find wooden plugs in the left side of the stock near the wrist where that was done. I think that they replaced the bands or ground the loop off of the side where they had both bottom and side mounting loops.

Since the bands are of different widths, they are not interchangable between stocks.

Personally, I like the looks of the wide, rounded band better than the narrow ones.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the Yugoslavians were good at one thing, it was taking a block of cosmolene and making it look like a rifle :D

I had thought about trading one of mine as I didn't think I really needed two 24/47's (and I'll never say never as I'd sell my mother for the right deal), but I think I'm going to hang on to them just because they are different, and both are in great shape.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
The taller hand guard appears to be elm making it an M48 handguard. It's greater height is consistent with the M48 series heftier stock cut.

I have a couple of the wide/narrow band variations myself.

On the basis of what I've read here and other forums, the "Carbines" were the same length as the rifles, only they had side mounted slings and turned down bolt handles - which are different from the M-48 bolts, and don't seem to turn up very often for some strange reason.
Correct except only few of the "carbines" were fitted with bent bolts. Most retained the straight bolts. They don't turn up often because the bent bolts were few and far between to begin with and are even more so now.
The M1924 carbine bent bolt had a serpentined bolt arm and a checkered knob flat as opposed to the M48s straighter bolt arm and smooth knob flat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts