Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help.. I am looking at a 1909 Argentine mauser action and was wondering how much difference there is between that and a 1891 Action. I need to order a stock and all I can find is for the 1891's nothing for 1909's. Are they relatively close in size and shape?

I am looking at the Micro Fit stock for a Rhineland conversion I am considering building.

If these are not close is there another mauser action that is?

Thanks,
DonT

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I will answer your question in general terms. I do not know what a "Rhineland conversion" is, but if it involves sporterizing, I'm not your man.

Depends on your definition of "relatively close", I guess. To start with, the receiver rings are a different size (M98 being larger in diameter), the action screw spacing is different, and the magazine well mortises are very different. For me, life is too short to fit a M91 stock onto a M98 action. HTH DDR

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DudleyDR,

The 1909 is actually an Argentine mauser without the funky magazine. That is why I was thinking it might be the same as the 98 mauser... Do you know if that is the case???

Thanks..
DonT

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The M1909 Argentine Mauser has a standard length Mauser M1898 action with a five-round staggered-column magazine. It is considered to be flush with the bottom of the stock. The stock mortise for that magazine is therefore wider than the M1891 mortise which uses the taller single-column five-round magazine that protrudes from the bottom of the stock of the M91 version. If you can go to a decent-sized library, look at the book, "Argentine Mauser Rifles 1871-1959", by Colin Webster. There are many pictures and diagrams of the differencies in the M1891 and M1898 action/magazine designs and the proper stock designs for each. The stocks are not interchangeable. (I'd rather whittle a stock for a M1909's action from a 2x4 with a pocket knife than modify a M91 stock!) DDR

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DudleyDR,

Thanks much for the input. Can I assume I might be able to use a stock inletted for a German 98 mauser with the 1909 Argentine Action?

Again thank for your patience and assistance...

DonT

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Yes sir, it is safe to assume that you might be able to use a stock for a German M98 Mauser. Should be close to a "perfect fit". You may need to consider or make allowances for the bolt handle being either straight or curved, but there should be no problem with the fit of the "standard length" (7 3/4" action screw spacing) action. As always when assembling mixed parts, there may still be need for some individual fitting of those parts. You are most welcome! DDR

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Don,

I have ordered from Richard's Microfit before. You will havve some workd to do on the stock and it will probably take five or six months for it to arrive.

Order a stock for a standard model 98 such as a Gew.98 or K98k. I would suggest ordering the barrel channel for, I think it is a #1 barrel, the slimmest barrel adn then open it up your self to fit the Rhineland conversion. You can order barrel inletting tools from Midway for this.

You will probably have to do some inletting for the barrel nut at the front of the receiver.

I hope you are using a "parts gun" as the doner and not stripping a collectible rifle.

Vlad

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The 1891 is a far distant cousin of the 1909 (M98) and they canṫ wear the same clothes. For discriptions, drawings and measurements of most of the Mauser actions check out Great Amerian Gunstockś website. You will see what can interchange with the 1909 action. Quite a few but, not the 1891. The biggest difference in stock inletting of 98s is the length of the triggergaurd where the front screw goes in, which varies. The 1909 has the shorter gaurd screw extension forward and no locking screw.
http://www.gunstocks.com/
Click on ¨Relevant Information¨ on the left side.
Surplus Rifle has numerous pictures of an 1891 being dissassembled.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/argentine1891/boltdisassembly/index.asp
The 1891 and the 1909 (98 made for export to Argentina) are as different as they come in Mauser actions, the 1891 being much slimmer, no claw extractor, the magazine below the stockline, etc. You would find it easier to start with a stock with no inletting than to start with an 1891 stock.
Interestingly, a modified 1891 was beat out by the Krag to replace the Trapdoor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts