Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, what's the physical difference, if any, in a 1763 French Charleville and a 1795 Springfield Musket?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Original or replica?

If you are referring to the Pedersoli replica, they are the same musket vice the markings. They are a decent replica, but it is NOT an identical replica.

You may find a couple of different manufacturers of orginal 1763 Charleville Type muskets.

The 1795 is referred to as the Charleville Pattern in correspondance. They follow the basic 1763 Pattern very closely at the onset of production. As to individual varities, there are Springfield Types I through IV (Type I 1799-1805, Type II 1806-1809, Type III 1809-1814 and Type IV 1814-1816)... and then there is the Harpers Ferry Type (Type I 1800-1805, Type II 1808-1812 and Type III 1812-1816). You will see differences in lock markings, different pan shapes, different length of the flutes in the butt stock, different shape of butt stock (some have cheek cut out if late Springfield), different trigger guards (especially the finials).

One can go on and on ad nauseum.

I had my Pedersoli 1795 made into an 1803 dated Harpers Ferry Type I with corrected lock parts and correct markings. It involved much work but it looks nice.

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Original

Thanks Dan for the comments. I'm asking on the originals. I have an old musket and have narrowed it down to a 1763 or 66 charleville or a 1795 springfield. I have the barrel, stock, trigger and back band and that's it. The buttstock looks straighter to me than the french charleville styles would be. I'm wanting parts to restore this one b ut don;t know which one to buythem for. How's the trigger guard finials different?

·
Registered
932 Posts
M 1795

s the space for the buttplate on your stock scalloped or less ornate in profile.?? Any proofs at all on the barrel?? Are there any loops on the underside of the stock where the ramrod would be stored??

·
8,107 Posts
Is this is the same one you have posted about on other forums? You need to post detailed information to get an accurate answer. Markings, barrel length, etc. You will need pictures, otherwise, no one can answer your questions.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
How's the trigger guard finials different?
The Charleville Pattern Type I has long pointed finials, identical to the triggerguard used on the Charleville muskets of the 1763 pattern. Type II muskets used pointed finial shorter than a type I, and then went to a rounded finial in 1808.

I have to agree with TP, without photos and detailed information any identification is virtually impossible. I would assume that corrosion has eliminated any stamps from the components you possess?

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Going by the buttstock, and band springs all behind the bands, it could be an 1808. That's what I'm going to restore it as anyway.........

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
KY;
Y not share some more info and pics w/these guys? They've forgotten more than most people will ever know about these things, or where to look it up quickly, as well as appreciate a challange and the opportunity to see and be seen. Just my opinion but no need to run headlong into restoring it if a little effort will put you on a better path... Take advantage.

Alden

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is the ends on the trigger guard rounded or pointed? Could be 3rd model springfield? Is the lock marked? and is it fer sale er trade? I be a builder of old arms and find any busted oldies a challeng.If interested in becomming the owner of somthin difernt give us a mail!

·
8,107 Posts
beazerbob, this is a very old thread and KYGun hasn't participated in a loooong time. You might want to send him a PM concerning a possible sale of this item.

Also, since you are new here - welcome to Gunboards by the way, you might want to check the Rules in the stickies at the top of this and the other Gunboards Forums. WTB requests are best placed in the WTB Trader and you might be surprised at what interest there is. I hope your stay here is long and productive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.