Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Cosmetic. The M48A introduced a stamped magazine floor plate. Here's where it gets confusing. There's a model M48B. It is still marked "M48A" on the receiver but incorporates many more stamped parts. It is most easily identifiable by a raised rib running around the sides of it's stamped trigger guard.

Top L M48B; Notes on other images explain.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I would tend to agree, if I had ever seen an M48A. But, it seems logical enough. Yugoslavia's arms making equipment had been wrecked, ruined, or hauled away and most likely that ran just as true for the skilled personnel that had worked in it before the Nazis came.
As an ex machinist I can say that on average it takes at least a year, sometimes 2 to train up a machinist to be reasonably experienced in all around operations. Of course, a machine operator takes only about 6 months.
Figure too, the drawings and knowledge of many of the technical tasks and details, such as tolerances and heat treating, something in particular they had trouble with getting right (never fear. They figured it out.) :)

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Actually, I addressed that in #2 above. Nice rifle too. :)

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
The sight hood is also different. The M48A sight hood has tabs on both sides and ends. The M48 is retained by a convex surface on both sides like a 98K hood.
Not quite as simple as simple as that...

Drawing courtesy of Branko Bogdanovic

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Identifier for rebuild facility. Some are more common than others. Nothernug knows all about Yugos.
Regards,
Bill
Thanks but, some of you fellows have long since learned all that I know and more though observation I generally have not had the opportunity to make.

Concerning 1.TRZ- most often believed to be a stock working facility located in Cacak in present day Serbia. For the record, others know that quite well. They just let me do the 'talking.' ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.