1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,399 Posts
If they start limiting the amount of power we can consume, as they say they will (Our new leaders), we will see more of this too...:(

·
Registered
240 Posts
Listening to things like this make me sick to the stomach. Even if it was an accident we must be aware that these people are walking history and do not deserve to be shunned like they are in society. It makes me irate that these men who served valiantly have such an insignificant place in society. Many of them are content to go back to their quaint Midwestern lives, and I think I would be too after a war, but nevertheless, they deserve utmost attention and recognition. When they die, so do their personal stories and experiences, forgotten in time and worthless to society.

That generation is one of the few that truly built America. Our way of life would be phenominally different if they hadn't fought for and built this country. Their values and morals should be praised. That WWII generation is slowly and painfully dying off. The little time they have left should be spend in comfort and with other people. That is why I visit 3 WWII veterans every week, one a D day veteran, he actually landed on the 6th. They have no family and I am probably their only friend. I do it not just because I am interested but because it is my duty and their right.

I need a kleenex

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Stalin use to love cutting off fuel supplies too.

poor fella. i live happily with the t-stat set at 60 degrees in my house all winter. this guy obviously had no one there to help him, or couldnt take care of himself enough mentally to throw on an extra layer to survive.

you gotta think that a man his age, surviving the Great Depression would still know how to handle the situtation, power or no power- unless his mind was gone.

in that case, the power company are wrong by shutting down the power.

in MN its illegal to cut utilites in winter.

bad case all around. i hope the person who restricted his energy use applies for a job elsewhere now.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
Yes, a sad day. I hope that out of the investigation, some good comes of it.

My WWII Marine vet dad was the youngest in his group, and he is 84. Due to health issues, I do not think that he would last long in the cold, even though he survived the great depression, the Solomon Islands, etc. :(

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
There was plenty of help available, but nobody bothered to do anything to get it, including Mr. Schur, the power company, and his friends and neighbors who are now so upset.

Do YOU have any idea what your elderly relatives are doing about taking care of their affairs?

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
I drove my father almost 30k miles taking him to see his sister before she passed. He is 87 and was the pilot of a B17 during WW2. He and my mother have been married 62 years and have 4 sons. I am the furthest away from them at 20 minutes.

We may never know the whole story of this post, but it seems like there was a real lack of communication since he had the bill and money on his table.

Maybe he wanted to die, possibly suffering from some painful illness, and figured it was the best way out. I know from experience, having almost lost my mother twice to hospital incompetence that many including myself dread any visit to a hospital or doctor.

Maybe he was not completely in control of his senses at 94, many possible circumstances, which we will probably never know or understand.

Those that went through that war and were in real combat situations have seen more than many humans can handle or even comprehend. Many came back from combat situations where they could not understand why they had survived. I know Pop flew over to Europe with 16 pilots and copilots and he and his copilot were the only two to return.

Those vets have a different attitude towards death. Many feel like they SHOULD have died with their friends. There is even guilt feelings about surviving the carnage.

Don't criticize me too harshly for these throughts. They are not really mine, just ovservations over a lifetime.

He may have gone exactly the way he wanted to go, and did it his way. We will never know.

I believe to this day that if my father was going to spend many months or years dying in agony, he would take another option.

regards
badger

·
Administrator
8,117 Posts
thats very upsetting to read this and i live in this state, there was money attached to the bill on his table, they probably knocked on the door but at 93 years old he may have been deaf and did not hear them, if any of the employees of the power company had any brains they would have asked a neighbor or made more attempts, this is sad, really sad

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
"Maybe it's time to line up a few politicians, lawmakers and corporate CEO's. The others may get the point."

Yes :)

Perhaps those who shut off the power should experience a few nights in extreme cold.....without electricity. without heat...without food - You become a believer & develop compassion when you experience hardship....

Pahtu.

·
Banned
1,452 Posts
I saw this on the news last night. Apparently he had enough money in the house to pay the bills but just didn't do it. He was 4 months behind on his power bill so they put a limiter on his electricity. I don't know how it works but they said he could run a furnace, a fridge and some lights. He was heating his home with the stove.
It seems like this was a case where the man needed some help taking care of himself and his affairs and didn't get it. He was in his 90s.
The city (Ithink it's a city owned power system) said their records don't have any personal information about the customers so they didn't know his age or condition.
I think it reflects on our society, how insulated we are from each other and the decline of our culture.
It is sad.
They found the body of a 16 year old frozen to death on a lake a day or two ago. Definately some dangerous cold out there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.