Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The German Children

I've always wanted to post a family photo of my German rifles, well I finally got around to it as I was in and out of the cabinet all weekend. Now that there are nine, it seemed a little too much work to take them outside and set up some sort of photogenic environment. Besides it was cold and windy out today. So I didn't get farther than the kitchen table with the assistance of my furry little helper; one of six that rule the roost. This one thinks she's the Empress and has her paws in everything. Next up is cousin 98M in June.

Top to bottom:
Grosspoppa: M1777 Prussian .72 cal. (1800), percussion conversion 1849, w/Regt. mark
Onkel: Commission 1888/05, Loewe 1890, some Turkish markings
Vater: Gew98/14, 1916 Danzig, all matching bring back save stock, but 1916
und Kinder:
Mauser K98k, S/42G, restored RC
Mauser K98k, 147/1940, restored RC
Mauser K98k, byf/1943, duffel cut repaired bolt MM bring back
Mauser K98k, bnz/1943 SSZA4, restored RC
Mauser K98k, DOT/1944, bolt MM Romanian capture, lightly scrubbed, DOT marked stock
Mauser K98k, DOT/1944, 5-digit SN - "a" block, semi-Kriegsmodel, bolt MM East German rework, replacement Obendorf barrel.

Bayonets: cof44 - "O" block, cam bayonet for M1777 Prussian, M98/05 Butcher Blade (1916).

PM

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nice collection - thanks for sharing. I am curiious - what did your wife say abut putting them on the kitchen table?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice collection - thanks for sharing. I am curious - what did your wife say abut putting them on the kitchen table?
Actually it's my table:laugh:; I bought it before we were married. C. 1880's gate-leg veneer topped table. I call it the 600 mile table; $35 on eBay, but I had to drive 600 miles to Ohio to get it. I could literally drive to Ohio, with a one night stay in a hotel for 1/2 of what UPS wanted to ship it. That was a lot of fun.

We actually do not eat on it, the kitchen is too small. I was careful anyway.

PM

·
Registered
116 Posts
The German Children

Top to bottom:
Grosspoppa: M1777 Prussian .72 cal. (1800), percussion conversion 1849, w/Regt. mark
und Kindern:
Mauser K98k, DOT/1944, bolt MM Romanian capture, lightly scrubbed, DOT marked stock
Mauser K98k, DOT/1944, 5-digit SN - "a" block, semi-Kriegsmodel, bolt MM East German rework, replacement Obendorf barrel.

Bayonets: cof44 - O block, cam bayonet for M1777 Prussian, M98/05 Butcher Blade (1916).

PM
Eine glückliche Familie indeed!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
yea son of celing cat.
which one shoots the best group?
Quickly:

Romanian Capture original DOT44

East German reworked DOT44

Nope, this is the '43 bnz SSZA4

byf43

1916 Danzig

All at 100 yards, siting, sling rest, mixed Yugo MilSurp, mostly

PM

This is the S/42G, the best of the bunch. Not bad for a Mario restocked RC.

and this one:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Got my targets straight

Crossed up a couple of targets...

In second place, '43 bnz SSZA4. I have since restocked this rifle and have yet to get it back to the range to see if it has lost anything.

And in first place, my RC S/42G, with replacement Numrich S/42G marked sights and a Mario replacement 1936 S/42 Walnut stock with matching trigger guard, floor plate, spring and follower as well. Still the RC bolt, but not for long. I have located a matching Weimar Obendorf bolt for it. Not bad for a RC; the bore isn't even the best of my Mausers, some roughness, but no outright pitting. It LOVES Yugo ammo. Pre-war quality despite RC and restock, or good restock?

Both targets 100 yards, left handed, seated with sling rest, mixed Yugo surplus.
PM

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
...and here is the bnz today. Spring cleaning at the club; had to sneak 15 rounds down range when they were having pizza. Not very careful aiming; first 5 were high, aiming center, corrected for the last 10 lower - too low. Next time should be just fine. 100 yards, 1992 Yugo surplus, seated, did not use sling - original. All rounds on paper.

PM

·
Gold Bullet member
500 Posts
The German Children

I've always wanted to post a family photo of my German rifles, well I finally got around to it as I was in and out of the cabinet all weekend. Now that there are nine, it seemed a little too much work to take them outside and set up some sort of photogenic environment. Besides it was cold and windy out today. So I didn't get farther than the kitchen table with the assistance of my furry little helper; one of six that rule the roost. This one thinks she's the Empress and has her paws in everything. Next up is cousin 98M in June.

Top to bottom:
und Kinder:

Bayonets: cof44 - "O" block, cam bayonet for M1777 Prussian, M98/05 Butcher Blade (1916).

PM
The cat appears to be a really good mouser or should I say Mauser? :0)

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Great collection, good shooting and a cool cat. Seems like your a lucky guy!

Curious about your restorations and stock replacement relative to accuracy. Obviously internal fit can impact accuracy. Has that been your experience?

Scott

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Scott,

I honestly do not know. I have not served in the military and have not been "trained to shoot." I am also left handed, have some fairly thick bifocal glasses, and assume the rifles have the potential to be better shooters than I am. I also use basically strictly Yugo surplus ammo, preferably 70's or better when I can get it, as a control. On my stock restorations, I have put the RC actions into as closely correct type stocks as possible, hoping for the factory-factory connection if there is such a thing. The exception was the bnz; the stock is unmarked, but has Sauer characteristics with the small take down washers, large "H," and barely visible, illegible WaA on the keel. My restorations have been mostly cosmetic and not functional save for seeking original matching bolts. I will be getting one for the S/42G from Chasdev, and am still looking for the bnz. I have not bedded or shimmed any actions, just dropped them into the stocks. For the bnz, the rear trigger screw fit perfectly tight with the capture screw, and I have to back off the front 1/3 of a rotation to engage the capture screw.

I'm wondering about the S/42G. Pre-war quality combined with a very close all original stock, hardware, trigger guard, and floor plate. Although the action screws could be snugger and the barrel is a little rough, the rifle is an incredible shooter. My bolt MM duffel cut repair bring back with a perfect barrel doesn't shoot as well, but then I only have 93 rounds out of the repair and haven't truly zeroed it in yet. I am hopeful as the pattern is entirely within 1/4 of the target. The sloppiest is the East German DOT44 rework. Considering it has an decent Obendorf marked replacement barrel, I thought it would shoot better. I'm hoping to get good results with the Romanian DOT44, but noticed the rifling is very weak at the muzzle.

PM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.