Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it just me or are my eyes screwed in off center ?

GunnerSam if you do answer this post please keep the answer to 10,000 words or less
(less than 3 words would be fantastic and no mention of cordite please) :rolleyes:

2,760 Posts
Is it just me or are my eyes screwed in off center ?

Well, I can't vouch for your eyes... but at least we know YOUR ears aren't painted on!

I'm not qualified to comment on the bolthead. We didn't make bits like that.

· Gold Bullet member
11,770 Posts
Well, that would explain why the divot is sometimes not directly in the center of the primer after firing.

· Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bolt head in the photo came off a South African marked 1950 Mk.2 that was center bedded and used for target work.

I think I know why the case imprint is off center on the bolt face but I would like you to examine your No.4 Enfield’s and check your imprints for being centered.

The extractor is pushing the case to the left which would make the case be contacting the 9:00 position of the chamber (Far left)

I would have jumped up and down and sworn on a stack of bibles that as the bolt closes the extractor moves to the right and away from the cartridge case as it moves into the extractor slot in the barrel, this would make the case lay in the very bottom of the chamber at the 6:00 position.

I have to go now my Golden Retriever has my socks and doesn’t give a rats ass about Enfield’s.

· Platinum Bullet Member
7,623 Posts
The bolt head in the photo came off a South African marked 1950 Mk.2 that was center bedded and used for target work.

I think I know why the case imprint is off center on the bolt face but I would like you to examine your No.4 Enfield’s and check your imprints for being centered.

The extractor is pushing the case to the left which would make the case be contacting the 9:00 position of the chamber (Far left)

I would have jumped up and down and sworn on a stack of bibles that as the bolt closes the extractor moves to the right and away from the cartridge case as it moves into the extractor slot in the barrel, this would make the case lay in the very bottom of the chamber at the 6:00 position.

I have to go now my Golden Retriever has my socks and doesn’t give a rats ass about Enfield’s.
Is the extractor a little long such that it is still touching the outside of the rim when the bolt is closed? That would push it over a bit.

My only other thought is that you have an oval chamber after somebody tried to get a mark out of the chamber with a power drill, a dowel and some 200 grade grit.

· Registered
1,844 Posts
Various forces act on the bolt....

... including the extractor and the mag spring. The mag spring pushes the bolt upwards and this would match the location of the bolt face imprint. I have a worn No.4 action where fitting a new bolthead needed the top edge of the bolthead to be relieved so it wouldn't jam on the corresponding edge of the back of the receiver ring.

· Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Who really cares, you will post about anything to see your name in print.
EvilKen2007

My oldest son is a forensic physiologist or better known as a criminal profiler and is always talking in Freudian terms in conversations we have about these gun forums, so I have a question for you.

What year during Gym Class did you first notice everyone else was bigger than you were in the shower room, and how many Mosin with the longer barrels do you have to makeup for your shortcomings?

· Registered
363 Posts
... including the extractor and the mag spring. The mag spring pushes the bolt upwards and this would match the location of the bolt face imprint. I have a worn No.4 action where fitting a new bolthead needed the top edge of the bolthead to be relieved so it wouldn't jam on the corresponding edge of the back of the receiver ring.
I recently looked at No1 MkIII where this is exactly what happened: as the bolt head came up to the rear face of the barrel ring, it contacts it and is pushed downward. The 'slope' it has worn is quite visible with the mag out looking up through the mag well. Have seen it on No4s too, but less pronounced.

Wouldn't give that bolt head a second look myself, as long the HS is correct and it is square to the chamber. I like to hone mine on a diamond lap and a Japanese water stone, they come up like a mirror, literally.

· Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forget about everything but the extractor pushing the case to the left, it could be a worn extractor or it could be normal, with the bolt closed the case could be laying anywhere from the 6:00 position to the 9:00 position in the chamber depending on how much the extractor is pushing on the case.

The question is would this be “normal” or should the case always be at the bottom of the chamber in the 6:00 position?

· Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually it has to do with the base diameter of the case and the diameter of the chamber and how much side play you have.

The “off center” imprint was made on an Enfield in very good condition, my question is on your Enfield’s is the imprint centered or off center.

A Mauser type bolt has a recessed bolt face that centers the cartridge and the photo of my Enfield shows an off center case imprint.

The question deals with reloading American made cases with small base diameters that have expanded on one side of the case more than the other side which will affect the reloaded cases accuracy.

The question Spike DD has nothing to do with your anger in your reply or if you had a bad day, the question is if you are on target the second and third time you reload your cases.

· Registered
232 Posts
Wow... Did your son come up with that reply, or did you just cut and paste a email from a ex-wife? If I had any shortcomings, I made up for them by marrying a girl 19-years younger than me. She really doesn't know the different between a long barrel Mosin or a shorter barreled No.5 Enfield.

Unlike the women in your circle of friends, which includes your females family members, she hadn't had a chance to handle hundreds of samples of different sizes and colors of weapons out there. Maybe your problem is, you keep trying to slip your unsized bolt into a hole that was worn out before you got it. The correct size of bolt, matched to the correct barrel tightens right down for the perfect fit. Maybe you could get a extention, to correct that headspace problem.

Well, Ed.. that is my gunsmithing tip for today.

EvilKen2007

My oldest son is a forensic physiologist or better known as a criminal profiler and is always talking in Freudian terms in conversations we have about these gun forums, so I have a question for you.

What year during Gym Class did you first notice everyone else was bigger than you were in the shower room, and how many Mosin with the longer barrels do you have to makeup for your shortcomings?

· Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow... Did your son come up with that reply, or did you just cut and paste a email from a ex-wife? If I had any shortcomings, I made up for them by marrying a girl 19-years younger than me. She really doesn't know the different between a long barrel Mosin or a shorter barreled No.5 Enfield.

Unlike the women in your circle of friends, which includes your females family members, she hadn't had a chance to handle hundreds of samples of different sizes and colors of weapons out there. Maybe your problem is, you keep trying to slip your unsized bolt into a hole that was worn out before you got it. The correct size of bolt, matched to the correct barrel tightens right down for the perfect fit. Maybe you could get a extention, to correct that headspace problem.

Well, Ed.. that is my gunsmithing tip for today.
EvilKen2007 was your screen name Tiny Tim before you changed it and do you still wet the bed?

· Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The quality of a posting has to do with the quality of the replies given to the question, what I find really disturbing is the total lack of help of the forum members in checking their bolt heads for answers.

I gave you free manuals, how about giving me some free quality answers………..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.