Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the marines fight in the civil war? Don't hear much about them during that time period. So I was just curious.

·
Registered
50 Posts
They have served in every armed American conflict since the Revolution. It is true that you don't hear much about them in that war, but they were there.

·
Registered
578 Posts
They fought in the Civil War and at the First battle of Bull Run they covered the retreat of the Union Forces along with the Regulars. The reason you don't hear to much about them is due to the fact that they were a small professional force like the Regular Army and most of the press went to the volunteers.

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,539 Posts
They also served on ships of war. When battle was joined, they fired on enemy officers from the rigging among other duties.

One of my wife's ancestors was a "Marine soldier" in the Continental Navy during the Revolution. SW

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,678 Posts
The "scroll" on top of Marines Hats began in the Rev. War as a way to tell them from the "Limeys". Also a Marine on John Paul Jones's "Bon Hom Richard" threw a grenade down an open hatch of the "Sererapis"(sp?) causing the explosion that turned the battle.
Ever wonder how they got the name"LeatherNecks"........I'll leave that to someone else.:D

·
Registered
959 Posts
It was a detachment of Marines who broke down the door of the engine house at Harpers Ferry to end the siege when John Brown, America's first terrorist, and his gang tried--and failed--to cause a general slave insurrection in 1859.

The Marines at that time were under the command of an Army colonel by the name of Robert E. Lee, and Lee's equally obscure lieutenant, a young officer named J.E.B. Stuart, who approached Brown under a white flag and told them to surrender "or else".

Setting the pattern for whack jobs who would follow him in later years, Brown chose "or else".

The Marines broke down the door and rushed in as both sides shot and swung sabers at close range. Lt. Israel Green knocked Brown out with a saber blow to the head and that was that. Brown and his men were taken to nearby Charles Town, given fair trials, and hung not quite two months after the raid.

One Marine was killed storming the engine house. Private Luke Quinn was killed and is still buried in the local cemetery in a prominent and well-maintained gravesite under a large Marine Corps. banner. Lt. Green went on to become a Marine officer for the Confederates when war broke out two years later.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The USMC wasn't the force that we think of today during the War Between the States. Most ships had a detachment of Marines to repel boarders or serve as guncrews. Marines were generally limited to supporting naval operations instead of operating roughly autonomously as we see today. Several instances that Marines distinguished themselves on land: Ft. Fisher (outside Wilmington, NC), the Siege of Charleston, and the Mobile Bay Campaign, among others.

Check these sites:
http://www.civilwarhome.com/marines.htm
http://wesclark.com/jw/usmc_in_cw.html

Finally, an Osprey book on the USMC in the War Between the States: http://www.amazon.com/American-Civi...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229447300&sr=1-5

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,657 Posts
They used to wear leather collars around their neck, to protect them from a 'swinging' sword of their adversary.
Which is the same purpose the metal epaulettes once aprt of officers uniforms had at one time - protection (of the shoulder in that case) from a sword stroke.

Always heard the embroidery on top of Marine officer's hats was so the sharpshooters in the tops wouldn't waste a round on a good (enlisted) Marine whilst taking the opportunity to remove an unpopular officer...

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting stuff. Did they wear the same uniform as the Navy or Army back then? Are there any photos of Civil War era Marines floating around?

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,657 Posts
Interesting stuff. Did they wear the same uniform as the Navy or Army back then? Are there any photos of Civil War era Marines floating around?
No, the Misguided Children had a distinctive uniform then as now, though it bore a resemblance to the contemporary Army duds if I recall correctly. There are pictures around, though just off hand I'm not certain of where to go on line to find some.

Contact with the Marine Corps Historical Center would probably pay dividends.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
if you are going to cut and paste from another source why not give credit?

It was a detachment of Marines who broke down the door of the engine house at Harpers Ferry to end the siege when John Brown, America's first terrorist, and his gang tried--and failed--to cause a general slave insurrection in 1859.

The Marines at that time were under the command of an Army colonel by the name of Robert E. Lee, and Lee's equally obscure lieutenant, a young officer named J.E.B. Stuart, who approached Brown under a white flag and told them to surrender "or else".

Setting the pattern for whack jobs who would follow him in later years, Brown chose "or else".

The Marines broke down the door and rushed in as both sides shot and swung sabers at close range. Lt. Israel Green knocked Brown out with a saber blow to the head and that was that. Brown and his men were taken to nearby Charles Town, given fair trials, and hung not quite two months after the raid.

One Marine was killed storming the engine house. Private Luke Quinn was killed and is still buried in the local cemetery in a prominent and well-maintained gravesite under a large Marine Corps. banner. Lt. Green went on to become a Marine officer for the Confederates when war broke out two years later.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I forgot to mention this book in my earlier thread. It is: "The United States Marine Corps in the Civil War" by David M. Sullivan. I haven't read it, so I can't say how well written it is.

I understand that there were US Marines involved in the assault on Fort Fisher, NC in 1865 along with sailors, and US Army troops.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Ok we have the leatherneck covered but what about the pet name of "Jar Heads"? My dad was a Marine and I cant remember what or if he told me anythig about this. I have army friends who say the Jar head name was because they screwed the lid off their heads filled it with shit and screwed it back on:). My dad will get a kick out of that one.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ok we have the leatherneck covered but what about the pet name of "Jar Heads"? My dad was a Marine and I cant remember what or if he told me anythig about this. I have army friends who say the Jar head name was because they screwed the lid off their heads filled it with shit and screwed it back on:). My dad will get a kick out of that one.
Apparently it is derived from the "high and tight" haircut. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=164178

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Also, a Detachment of Marines from Washington were called to Fort Washington by the (sole) caretaker ordnance NCO to take possession of the only fortification defending Washington DC in 1861. It sits in Prince George's County, MD... an area with strong secessionist sentiment at that time. One of the Marine's first acts was to damage the drawbridge over the dry moat so it could no longer be used.

A neat stone and masonry fort, and well worth visiting if one happens to be in the area.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Apparently it is derived from the "high and tight" haircut. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=164178
Thanks for the link and while I was there I saw (POGEY BATE) OMG my dad used to call junk food by this name when I was kid , I wondered where in the heck he came up with that . Well I have since had a heartt attack and he tells me no more than a month ago " it's all that pogey bate you ate as a kid that caused it" I always thought he was just fos because he had nick-names for everything.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.