Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
In the 1991 Gulf War my unit captured two Iraqi Hi-powers - one from a major general, the III Corps G-3, which was a 70's FN Belgian made gun with the Baathist Iraqi eagle on top of the slide. It now resides at the 2AD collection at Ft. Hood. The second was a older 60's FN with the Iraqi royal crest, it was in the hands of a Marine unit, not sure of its fate.
The 1st CAV captured a number of CZ-75s from RGFC units with no special markings. The Iraqi regular Army divisions we overran (5th Mech, 3rd AD, 6th AD, 11th, 18th, 7th Infantry div, and several parachute Bdes) all had Makarov's as typical sidearms, with senior officers armed with Tariq 9mm. While rifles often had the Iraqi Army property mark, none of the 30 or so pistols I examined or chose for the 2AD collection had the mark. Only the 2 hi-powers had a crest, the Tariqs were just maker marks in English and Arabic.

I would be very suspicious if someone is trying to sell you such a pistol, no legal way for a bringback except official war trophy collections (US gov. property), so its either a fake or legally suspect.

I have not seen many pistols from current ops, but I am told virtually anything could be in the hands of Iraqi troops or militia, as there was a lot of trafficking in arms in the region.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MG08

I guess anything could be in the hands of the Iraqi military because of all the arms trafficking, I wonder what make Saddam Husein carried, he liked to wear a Browning HP type pistol, I bet it was one of those Iraqi marked ones from Belgium

·
Copper Bullet member
9,817 Posts
There are some FEG-made counterfeit BHPs, a few of which did enter the US, that were supposedly for some Middle East nation. Some/Most/All were rejected and ended up on the surplus market. If you search a bit you can find some info on them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I saw some FEG Hi Power clones when I was over there in 91. The only way they could have gotten back here is if they were brought back by the unit (govt property) or they were smuggled back. We destroyed a lot of small arms when we had to clear/destroy bunkers.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have seen lots of sidearms in use by various Iraqis when I was there in 2007-2008.

The term Iraqi Army "issue" is pretty vacuous, there is the Iraqi Army, the Iraqi Police, the "Sahwa" which are basically ex-insurgents(in most cases not so "ex") that we pay to be sort of armed guards, local politicians have their own bodyguards/armed security. It's not very organized, even in the Iraqi "army" and the army there resembles more of a uniformed militia. It's not like it was when Saddam ran things.

Most of the officially used sidearms I saw were Glock 19's, pretty much used by everyone from the Iraqi Police to the Army. From what I hear the US, or NATO or someone bought a boatload of Glock 19's and pretty much handed them out to the Iraqi govt. Even the Iraqi Govt. is pretty much disjointed as there are "regions" that are their own govt. For example what goes on with the Iraqi Army in Baghdad may not be the same as in Kirkuk.

Unofficially carried sidearms ranged from Egyptian Beretta copies, Tokarevs, Makarovs, those Hungarian PA-63's, surely lots of others that I missed. Never saw a Hi-Power but either I missed it or no one I saw was carrying one. Given the iraqis lack of overall maintenance for anything mechanical any pistols found or captured were almost always in sad shape, the dry climate and low humidity probably saved many of them from turning into lumps of rust.It's a great "field test" for Glock given that they remain functional over there with hardly any cleaning and I would guess spare parts would be from taking another Glock apart. The Iraqi police had to check their firearms at the front gate before coming into our FOB for meetings or to pick up prisoners, and when I was on gate guard lots of the Glocks I saw were pretty much brown from the ever present dust that covers everything. Either they were never fired by the IP's or Glocks just work!

The Arcus 9mm, kind of a DA clone inspired by the Hi-Power, the advertising from the Bulgarian Arcus ads claims these are the "official sidearm of the Iraqi army" as if this is a ringing endorsement, but I never saw a single Arcus in Iraq.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw some FEG Hi Power clones when I was over there in 91. The only way they could have gotten back here is if they were brought back by the unit (govt property) or they were smuggled back. We destroyed a lot of small arms when we had to clear/destroy bunkers.
good info, now I know the IRAQIs did have some Hungarian FEG HP clones in their arsenal!

did they have the same factory markings as found on the commercial HP that were imported to the USA back in the late 80's ?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Hello Bolo. I was in Iraq from 2003 to 2004. We saw numerous handguns. The "Tariq" (Beretta 951/Helwan copy) was pretty popular. The ones I saw had a gold colored disk in the center of the grips with a profile of Saddam as a biblical warrior. There were numerous Tokarevs, Makarovs, and PA63's. I did see a few CZ75's (No special markings) and Brownings. The Brownings looked like the ones seen here in the states at gunshows. Some had the ring hammer and others the comb hammer. The finnish was pretty much gone on all of these guns.
The U.S. gave the Iraqi police Glock19's (3rd Gen.) w/ night sights and three 15rd mags. I know because I helped to train them how to shoot. Some of them were pretty decent shots and others were hopeless! I hope this helps.

·
Copper Bullet member
599 Posts
Some HP's were manufactured by the Al Qadissiya Establishment. (http://www.adamsguns.com/tariq.htm). Never saw any Hungarians but anything is possible. As to the emblem on the tariq's, I have no idea who is on the grip but here's a photo.

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
9,817 Posts
"Some HP's were manufactured by the Al Qadissiya Establishment"

Iraqi-MADE HPs??? This I have never heard. The link you posted shows an Iraqi-CONTRACT pistol, made in Belgium. Do you have any info on HP pistols actually manufactured in Iraq?

·
Copper Bullet member
599 Posts
Jonny C, your correct, only the Beretta Licensed copies were made there. The HP's were contract pistols.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.