Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Humans have known for thousands of years on a vague level about the natural anti-bacterial properties of some natural substances (e.g. garlic, onions, alcoholic substances, honey) which happen to be common natural remedies around the world (as an aside - if you're interested in what actually works for the common cold, here is a good link very concisely summarizing the most thorough reviews on the subject: https://www.evidentlycochrane.net/just-pass-tissues/)

If you think about it, penicillin is just a mold's (Penicillium's) own natural defense against bacteria. Penicillin (a β-lactam antibiotic) is secreted by this mold when it is stressed, and it interferes with the building of bacterial cell walls, leading to two very structurally disrupted bacteria cells every time bacteria tries to divide. On a basic level, extremely effective and powerful. Even more amazing how at therapeutic doses, it is not only tolerated by the human body, but also spreads well throughout it.

The challenges we have with all these substances are:
- Extracting and isolating the specific chemical substances (discovering something truly effective, then figuring out how to get something like penicillin out of a microscopic mold in a pure, effective way)
- or... building/designing something with similar properties to something that already works. E.g. a similar chemical structure to a natural or pre-existing substance, modifying specific atoms on a chemical structure to improve and change the function/longevity, tolerance by the human body, prevent it from being broken down, and to work around the different types of bacterial defenses. Through something like this, we got something like cefazolin (a cephalosporin antibiotic) around 40 years after penicillin was discovered.
- Finding the right way to deliver it (mouth/intravenous/etc - what's the right amount to give, what works on what disease, what combinations, for what kind of patients, and how often?)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
This is why I don't mind moldy tortillas. :burp

·
Registered
9,400 Posts
Funny how they don't isn't it?
Most "Modern Pharmaceuticals" are improvements on traditional medicines isn't it?
Quiet little move from a while back but see if you can find "Medicine Man" with Sean Connery.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Estaban , when I was young growing up in Texas my friends father painted cars on the side . My friend and I would water sand them , his father took us to where he painted the cars one weekend , his brothers tortillas factory . When we got hungry we went and just grabbed a fresh hot tortilla off the conveyor belt , best tortillas ever , they all had blue flakes in them from the paint , all bagged in different name brand bags . When we finished sanding the car we went to explore the factory , we learned what the black flakes in the tortillas were then , there were big vats of peanut oil with flies covering the tops . Hard to swear off tortillas in Texas .

·
Silver Bullet member
48,440 Posts
Gross..where’s the beef?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Nothing better than a fresh tortilla off the grill with some butter. I'll skip the fly part thanks!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Adds some crunch.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
47,475 Posts
This is why I don't mind moldy tortillas. :burp
was on the way up to a Service Rifle Match one morning,

dark when I left the house, and I stopped by a convenience store to pick up a drink and a pack of those small white sugar coated donuts,

30 miles later I opened the pack, it was still dark, and started eating them,

one tasted odd, but it went down,

the next tasted really odd, and I turned on the overhead light and it was a yellow/blue color,

yup, apparently the last 2 had molded up in the package,

tossed those out the window,

big swig of whatever I bought as a beverage and all was good ,

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
was on the way up to a Service Rifle Match one morning,

dark when I left the house, and I stopped by a convenience store to pick up a drink and a pack of those small white sugar coated donuts,

30 miles later I opened the pack, it was still dark, and started eating them,

one tasted odd, but it went down,

the next tasted really odd, and I turned on the overhead light and it was a yellow/blue color,

yup, apparently the last 2 had molded up in the package,

tossed those out the window,

big swig of whatever I bought as a beverage and all was good ,
Pre-medicating. haha

·
Silver Bullet member
48,440 Posts
Stopped donuts 1982 coffee my hub from which i reported to weekly, and extra meetings had the good apple stuffed one..
only surgery I was getting directly..I was getting sick and doubled hyped...
people hiding my coffee cups...
I found the problem was the sugar..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts