Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I bought a .357 double barrel Derringer, made in Germany, and it looks similar to the 1866 Remington M95. This one came from "Hawes Firearms company, Los Angeles, Calif.", as engraved on the top of the barrel. Probably from the 1960s. Anyway, it's like new and in the original box. But the manual is not there.

I'm wondering how to use it. For instance, how does one control which barrel shoots when you pull the trigger? I don't see a lever or control for that. I would hate to have it fire both .357 cartridges at the same time.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
It should have two firing pins and need to be cocked before each shot. That's how mine works anyway.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give it a try. I have some Speer plastic bullets that are propelled with just a primer. I'm going to try those first. I'd hate to have two .357 full strength cartridges detonate at the same time.

Thank you

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'll give it a try. I have some Speer plastic bullets that are propelled with just a primer. I'm going to try those first. I'd hate to have two .357 full strength cartridges detonate at the same time.

Thank you
Unless your pistol is defective, it will not "detonate" two bullets at the same time. The pistol is single action (look it up). To fire the pistol, the hammer must be cocked and then the trigger pulled. Each time the hammer is cocked, a piece on the front of the hammer rotates so that the firing pin fires the upper chamber to the lower.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I didn't see anything obvious that kept it from firing two at once, so I thought that I would ask.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
You can use 38 Special ammo instead of the 357 Magnum ammo.

I have some of those primer poppers too.

They are good for finishing of rodents in traps.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a broken leaf spring that operates the Firing Pin Rachet. The ratchet would not work, and thus the gun would not switch barrels. The rachet shifts a bar on the hammer that designates which barrel firing pin the hammer will strike.

The spring is relatively simple, and I am going to try making one, probably by cutting down a Sabre Saw blade.

ret_Marine,

Thanks for the good information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts