Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this one up from Dennis Kroh several years ago, I've never seen one since. He picked this one directly from the importer. IIRC, he has only seen three of these before. The S/42 followed by three waffenampts is on the right side of the rear sight base sleeve. It's a good shooter too!

Thanks again Dennis !!

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,380 Posts
Never seen one like that before. Why the special code markings??

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Never seen one like that before. Why the special code markings??
Guns that were damaged or needed more than minimal repairs were sent to depot amories for refurbishment. The depots were numbered by location or region. Supposedly some unmarked receivers were used to rebuild damaged weapons and were marked with the depot # and date. I have a K.98 rebuilt Vz-24 with "XXI" on the recevier ring in front of the original serial number. That's all I know, this information was on the old gunboards K98 Mauser forum. Several users have posted photos of theirs in the past, but none with the receiver marked like this one, at least not that I can recall.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
Weird, has a Walther WaA 359 mark?

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
All of the mfgrs sent parts into the replacement system for depot/field replacement use.

I don't see anything wierd about this rifle. It is a depot built - not rebuilt - rifle using all blank/unnumbered parts. The sight sleve was a 37 or 38 mfg put on a 39 Gecco bbl which was installed on a blank 359 receiver that like the bbl & sight assy was sent into the repair/rebuild system as "spare parts."

I just saw a rework that was stamped XII in front of the ser nr. This was a rework of an original factory marked receiver, which is what most of those are. This is a new built rifle and as such is quite a different animal.
Sarge

·
Silver Bullet Member
616 Posts
Depot Rifle

Here is a shot of my depot rifle. Receiver top is marked bcd 41. Right side has only the Astrawerke 1. It has a Geco barrel marked Wa26.

Ski

1 - 10 of 10 Posts