Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,477 Posts
To be an antique in the States you would have to prove that it was manufactured before January 1st 1899. That's the cut off date, although there is a Bill in Congress that would move the cut off date for antiques to any firearm over 100 years of age. Who knows if they will ever pass that one??? Would be nice though!

Nice weapon!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are already luckier than us with that 1898 cut-off date...here in Canada if a gun chambers any modern round then its not an official antique according to the government...never ever...no matter how old it is...a somewhat ridiculous abuse of the word, "Antique".

If I can prove that this gun was made before 1898 then I can ship it across the border into the USA (but not the other way) with no hassle...if its made after 1898 then its nearly impossible to do the same. So I am trying to figure out how to prove that its an antique according to the USA rules.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,477 Posts
You are already luckier than us with that 1898 cut-off date...here in Canada if a gun chambers any modern round then its not an official antique according to the government...never ever...no matter how old it is...a somewhat ridiculous abuse of the word, "Antique".

If I can prove that this gun was made before 1898 then I can ship it across the border into the USA (but not the other way) with no hassle...if its made after 1898 then its nearly impossible to do the same. So I am trying to figure out how to prove that its an antique according to the USA rules.

It's before 1899. Weapons manufactured IN 1898 are antiques. Your best bet with a weapon of this type and age is to try to determine when the proof marks that appear on the barrels and action were introduced and when they might have been changed. Is it black-powder or nitro-proofed?

Best of luck!

JPS

·
Silver Bullet member
55,186 Posts
I believe the butt plate is modern replacenment....seen many plates of that design!
Belgium proofs...photos out of focus for me and my old eyes.
If black powder proofed, you my have a case as antique?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.