Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of warnings out there about degreasing your steel wool and carding wheels befor using them on your metal refinishing projects. Well great, how does one do that? Dip steel wool in acetone, wash in detergent? I haven't a clue where to start with the wheel.
Thanks
RP

·
Gold Bullet member
1,254 Posts
Either one would work but steel wool rusts very quickly after degreasing so I think the acetone would be better. Many bluer's put their steel wool and carding wheels in the hot degrease tank.

·
Registered
25,208 Posts
I soak steel wool in denatured alcohol, squeeze it through a few times, squeeze out excess, then light it on fire and let the alcohol and oil burn out of it.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,653 Posts
I soak steel wool in denatured alcohol, squeeze it through a few times, squeeze out excess, then light it on fire and let the alcohol and oil burn out of it.
I always used steel wool as a fire "starter"; I'm surprised you can light it and it not burn!

·
Registered
25,208 Posts
The alcohol will burn off very fast and will not get hot enough to ignite the wool. Try it, it works great. It may try to start a few stray fibers but will extinguish quickly. Be sure to turn it over a few time while it burns to get all the alcohol/oil to burn off. This is actually the recommended procedure in several gunsmithing books I have.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks gents...everything turned out great. AND yes I did try both acetone and alcohol on the steel wool and it did not burn the wool. Burned off nicely. Carding wheel was a challenge. I moisten up a rag real well and hit the spin button held the soaked rag against the wheel until it didn't blacken a clean rag any longer. Do this outside as it sprays the acetone a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts