Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my hopes up when I saw a post about handicapable handguns but then realized it was about one specific model that seems to be coming to market. Rather than muddle up that post I decided to make a new post with searchable words in the title to help others who may be looking for help finding defensive or sporting handguns for the elderly or handicapped. I think this is a very worthwhile post to participate in. After an injury that resulted in my walking with a cane for what looks like the rest of my life I have become tuned in to handicapped issues. I would like your thoughts on the selection process of handgun, action type and caliber of handguns for all sorts of handicaps. I know some of you have vast experience in this area and all of you have much to contribute on the topic. I welcome your thoughts and look forward to reading your advice to those who come seeking answers to this topic in advance.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My mother in law wanted a pistol that she could shoot with her arthritis in her hands. We found that a revolvers DA pull was too hard, and manipulating the hammer was not a good option for her either. That left pistols, but manipulation of the slide was again not a good option.

For her, the pistol that worked best was a Beretta Tomcat in .32 with the tip up barrel. This one she can actually work herself and the .32 is not so harsh as to bother her badly. A .32 might not be the best choice, but in her case it was the best choice.

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
My mother in law wanted a pistol that she could shoot with her arthritis in her hands. We found that a revolvers DA pull was too hard, and manipulating the hammer was not a good option for her either. That left pistols, but manipulation of the slide was again not a good option.

For her, the pistol that worked best was a Beretta Tomcat in .32 with the tip up barrel. This one she can actually work herself and the .32 is not so harsh as to bother her badly. A .32 might not be the best choice, but in her case it was the best choice.
Glad Michael brought this forward as a lot of elderly are victims of crime now-a-days and need something to defend themselves. My mother, who is seventy + years would never think about a handgun for her protection. She still believes to this day that my grandfather shot himself in the leg with an unloaded 22 rifle while cleaning it (I know) and hates guns of any sort.
While I can see your reasoning behind the 3032 Tomcat the problem I would have with suggesting any type of pistol to an elderly is to many functions in a time of stress. Unless they have had some good weapons training. I would suggest the simple old wheelgun. Point and pull the trigger. I would suggest something like the Ruger SP101 in 32mag or 38spl. And even though I don't think the 327mag fills a niche, it just might here. A simple trigger job can lessen the double action pull and they would have a reliable, safe weapon that is easily put into operation with a caliber that can perform well enough at close quarters.
But also add in handgun training.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree with the revolver. And, if possible, one of the Pre War S&W's, maybe a Terrier or a .32 Hand Ejector. My M&P trigger is so smooth and light you hardly feel the pressure required to pull it. Having acquired "Old Arthur" in my left hand I can still fire the M&P without undue pain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts