·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deep seated bullets unsafe?

Topic author: TripleL
Subject: Deep seated bullets unsafe?
Posted on: 10/08/2006 1:03:34 PM

I shoot my EG at the range using S&B 95 gr. FMJ but load my CCW with Hornady 95 gr. JHP. I agree with the advice that one should practice with the same load that's carried but the high cost of the Hornady prevents me from doing so.

Lately, I've noticed that some of my Hornady's bullets have seated deeper than normal. I read in a book a statement repeated from a Speer reloading manual (referring to the 9mmP) that said "But more important,loads that produced 28,000 cup went up to 62,000 cup when bullets were purposely seated .030-inch deeper!".

If pressure can more than double when a bullet is seated 30 thousandths of an inch deeper, would this damage my Mak? Is there a safe way to fix the ammo? I don't reload my own ammo so I don't have the equipment. Or should I just not use the Hornady?

I plan on trying a few rounds of Silver Bear JHP just to see if they work in my Mak but otherwise wouldn't mind FMJs as a daily load.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies:

Reply author: North Bender
Replied on: 10/08/2006 1:25:31 PM
Triple, how are you measuring the fact that the bullet is seated deeper? All brands have some variability in overall lengths. Hornady has better quality control than most. With many thousands of Hornady rounds shot by forum members, and no reported catastrophes, I think you can rest assured the brand won't blow your pistol apart.

Reply author: TripleL
Replied on: 10/08/2006 1:53:33 PM
NB, the bullet profile on the unaffected rounds shows about a millimeter and a half-wide flat ridge before it tapers off. The flat portion of the bullet doesn't show on the deep-seated ones anymore so there's at least that much in the casing. Also, the height difference is obvious when I view them side by side on a flat surface.

Replied on: 10/08/2006 1:58:01 PM
NB, it appears that there would be more of the casing lip to catch on the ramp during feeding.

Reply author: oldguy
Replied on: 10/08/2006 5:16:06 PM
Setback can occur when a cartridge is loaded over and over in a chamber I usually will fire a round that is chamber a number of times. Increased pressure is a danger but more so in calibers like
the 40 s&w. A good set of electronic calibers is good to have, check
a box of commercial ammo and you will find some minor differences
in each.

Reply author: tylernt
Replied on: 10/08/2006 9:09:19 PM
OAL (OverAll Length) can indeed vary a few hundredths of an inch, but if you notice a round is visually shorter than when it came from the factory, I wouldn't shoot it.

You might look into other brands of HP. http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/9x18/gel9x18.htm shows a couple of other brands like Barnaul and Blazer that look comparable to the Hornady. The Silver Bear FMJ that I have is quite reliable, so as long as the JHP feeds in your gun that might be just the ticket. In particular, the Silver Bear (well, at least the FMJ) has a ring of red sealer around the bullet which probably helps with setback issues.

Reply author: North Bender
Replied on: 10/08/2006 10:46:23 PM
It's always been interesting info, but the Barnaul, Blazer, Cor-Bon and Master Cartridge shown on the Golden Loki tests are all out of production.

tylernt, I would not agree that Silver Bear, even though it's now coming from the Barnaul Plant, is somehow built with better tolerences than Hornady.

Triple, if it doesn't look right I would advise caution. The ammo may have been damaged somehow.

Reply author: wrangler5
Replied on: 10/09/2006 10:44:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by TripleL

I shoot my EG at the range using S&B 95 gr. FMJ but load my CCW with Hornady 95 gr. JHP. I agree with the advice that one should practice with the same load that's carried but the high cost of the Hornady prevents me from doing so. <snip>

Triplet -

FYI, Hornady sells their Makarov bullets separately at about $11/100 (Midway price - less if you have a C&R.) A hundred primers run about $2. In MY reloading equipment and MY Maks, 6.5 grains of Accurate #7 powder (just under $2/100 rounds) gives velocity equal to the factory loads. (Note - this is the STARTING load for these components according to the Accurate Data Book, so it should be safe in any sound firearm.) If your S&B ammo is like mine the cases are reloadable. So for about $15/100 rounds you can shoot practice ammo that matches your carry loads. I still carry factory loads, but I do practice some with my duplicate handloads.

If you reload, you can also make up plinking rounds for around $7.50/100 using lead bullets and a bit less powder. I load my plinkers down to the point where the ejected cases just about fall at my feet - cheap and comfortable enough to shoot all day, and it's easy to collect the brass at the end.

Replied on: 10/09/2006 11:32:05 AM
THANKS to all for the great advice. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Off Topic: Has the AIM packaging/UPS handling issue been resolved?

Reply author: tm45
Replied on: 10/09/2006 1:32:31 PM
quote:I load my plinkers ---just about fall at my feet - and it's easy to collect the brass at the end.

W5,
If I live long enough maybe I’ll get into reloading someday. I’ve always wondered when people mention reloading for their MAKS. Even with 19# spring, these little suckers still want to eject into orbit???

I don’t recall seeing anyone post your ‘trick’ before. Learn something new every day. Thx, T

Replied on: 10/09/2006 3:52:18 PM
While scanning old postings for more info on EGs (I have a '63 and '64), I ran across an old North Bender posting from way back on 9/14/03 re Hornady FTF. My HPs are not that new either and I don't trust them. Someone else posted problems with bullet setbacks then and since I don't shoot the Hornady XTP at the range, I'm getting rid of them and load my CCW with ammo that I know will work. It's too big of a risk not to have my defensive weapon work when I need it. Thanks NB.

Great forum! Lots of helpful stuff. Boy, am I hooked!!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts