Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

A question for any of the forums members who are resident in France.

I have seen various French websites offering deactivated French military weapons (eg MAT49, MAC50, FAMAS etc) for sale.

Do French laws allow the export of such deactivated arms?

I would be able to secure an import permit for such items in my own country of residence (New Zealand) so if it were possible to export these deactivated arms from France, it would offer me the best chance of obtaining examples of such rare items to help fill out my collection.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Here is the latest French law on firearms:
http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000027792819&categorieLien=id

A modern firearm deactivated by St Etienne Proof house is no longer deemed a weapon and can be sold and owned by an adult without any restriction/paperwork, hence no Weapon export licence is required (not valid for high value antics).

here is the link to the French Customs service, the department E2 in charge of Import/Export licences is helpful and fast.
http://www.douane.gouv.fr/articles/...chat-et-la-circulation-des-armes-et-munitions

kelt

·
Registered
623 Posts
Here is the latest French law on firearms:
http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000027792819&categorieLien=id

A modern firearm deactivated by St Etienne Proof house is no longer deemed a weapon and can be sold and owned by an adult without any restriction/paperwork, hence no Weapon export licence is required (not valid for high value antics).

here is the link to the French Customs service, the department E2 in charge of Import/Export licences is helpful and fast.
http://www.douane.gouv.fr/articles/...chat-et-la-circulation-des-armes-et-munitions

kelt
kelt...what you're saying is that its' OK to have one of the dewat MAT 49's sent to the USA, or elsewhere?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
kelt...what you're saying is that its' OK to have one of the dewat MAT 49's sent to the USA, or elsewhere?
If the definition of a deactivated weapon is the same in the USA as in France, then the answer is Yes.

As far as exporting a French deactivated gun is concerned, there is one complication, the exporter must provide proofs (like a letter from the BATF for the USA) to the French Customs that the regulation covering deactivated weapons in the Country of destination is identical to the French one.

It is a sensitive subject right now, the French Customs and several other European Customs are presently very active in the dismantling of several smuggling weapons rings within Europe, the regulation for deactivating weapons being different from one Country to another, clever crooks found ways to gather from various legit sources on the internet all the working parts to rebuild working guns and sell them on the "black market".

One of the latest busts here:
http://www.lindependant.fr/2014/03/...-armes-demantele-depuis-perpignan,1861106.php

kelt

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the definition of a deactivated weapon is the same in the USA as in France, then the answer is Yes.

As far as exporting a French deactivated gun is concerned, there is one complication, the exporter must provide proofs (like a letter from the BATF for the USA) to the French Customs that the regulation covering deactivated weapons in the Country of destination is identical to the French one.
In NZ there is no recognition of "de-activation" in respect of what are classed as "restricted weapons". I can get an import permit to bring into NZ say a MAT49 SMG, but it could be either deactivated or in full working condition. Obviously I would love to import a fully functioning MAT49 but I am aware that I could never get one out of France.

On that basis Kelt, do you think it would be an issue getting a deactivated one out of France?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
In NZ there is no recognition of "de-activation" in respect of what are classed as "restricted weapons". I can get an import permit to bring into NZ say a MAT49 SMG, but it could be either deactivated or in full working condition. Obviously I would love to import a fully functioning MAT49 but I am aware that I could never get one out of France.

On that basis Kelt, do you think it would be an issue getting a deactivated one out of France?
In the EU the answer is Yes, for NZ, it's best to ask direct the French Customs service dealing with weapons Import/export licences (AIMG/AEMG):

by mail:
[email protected]

by phone:
(33) 1 57 53 43 98

kelt

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
It is quite legal,to import a deact MG into NZ,and then re-activate it......there is NO distinction under the law here between one that works and one that does not.With the proviso that if it is in working condition,it must be stored with a vital part removed so it cannot be fired if it were stolen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts