Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, one more time, here we go. Make sure the rifle is unloaded!!

1) Push the bolt forward until the striker bumps the sear
2) Pull the trigger & push the bolt the rest of the way forward
3) Get your damn finger off the trigger now, we're done with it!!!
4) Slap the bolt close (if it hurts your hand & doesn't move, forget it - you've got one that this procedure won't work on.)

Oh yeah, once again, for the idiots - make sure the rifle is unloaded before doing this!
I've been doing this since Dad gave me my first Arisaka in '67 - never had a problem.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,514 Posts
Rob,

I just tried this with a Type 38 carbine, and it seems to work fine, but it sounds aweful, like something is really being "forced" inside. I'll assemble an action for a Type 38 rifle minus the stock, and will watch what happens when I do this technique to be sure we're not really mashing something up, like the trigger/sear connection.

John in Charlotte, NC

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,514 Posts
Quicky experiment showed that the firing pin cocking flange (not sure what else to call it) which goes into the receiver is getting scored when I "slap" the bolt closed. I'm not sure what it is hitting, but it is hitting something, and it may be the reciever itself (little cutout where the firing pin cocking flange goes in). There's a good diagram in Frank's Type 38 book (page 8) that show this connection.

John

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John, the trigger is out of the picture by the time you slap the bolt over. The only thing that's happening is the striker tail has to cam from one of it's notches to the other.
It's up to you guys to do what ya want. This has worked for me for 40 years now.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,961 Posts
This works with most cock on opening bolt actions, of course there are some exceptions for the non-Mauser designs.

Make sure the firearm is UNLOADED. That sounds familiar.....where have I read that before?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John, are you sure the bolt is all the way forward and that you are off the trigger when you slap it over? Geezo man, this has never been a big deal to me & closing doesn't sound any different than opening the bolt.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,514 Posts
Yes, it's all the way closed and my finger is off the trigger and the carbine was unloaded...this time; oops, shot the nieghbor's cat. Another carbine I tried this on didn't make the "don't do this" noise. So, I think this is the right way to go! I often run bolts in and out of rifles as I restore them, and would hate to break a firing pin when I dry fire them. Cool technique Rob; thanks.

John

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
OK Guys :
Just great !, now you will have every damn moron across the states trying to DE COCK their pieces, half of these firearm dingalings don't know the difference between their guns and their rifles... remember the guys with the rifles over their heads in basic singing away which is which ?????.
The firing pin breakage was a problem on the Springfield 03 because it was a 2 piece affair ( one US better idea ) and the Mauser due to its slenderness and piss poor attachment to the cocking piece.
That old 38 / 99 firing pin is a mighty stout piece, yes there are broken pins, but those were broken on purpose to keep the souveniers from firing their pieces on their way home or to render a rifle safe period.
Adogs maybe a skilled individual and some others as well, but to suggest that a precarious method be adopted by the crowd is irresponsible and down right mean. All it is going to cause is more locked up out of time rifles that have to be abused to get then unlocked.
Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Vicasoto

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,514 Posts
I liked my gun much more than my rifle before the Marine Corps "taught " me the difference, and I still like it better.

John in Charlotte, NC

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think it should be stressed here, that A-Dogs method will almost NEVER work with a Type 99. And Arisaka strikers are very different from Nambu firing pins in that I've not heard of rifle firing pins breaking from dry firing, but dry firing a Nambu pistol is likely to do damage.

jim

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK Guys :
Just great !, now you will have every damn moron across the states trying to DE COCK their pieces, half of these firearm dingalings don't know the difference between their guns and their rifles... remember the guys with the rifles over their heads in basic singing away which is which ?????.
The firing pin breakage was a problem on the Springfield 03 because it was a 2 piece affair ( one US better idea ) and the Mauser due to its slenderness and piss poor attachment to the cocking piece.
That old 38 / 99 firing pin is a mighty stout piece, yes there are broken pins, but those were broken on purpose to keep the souveniers from firing their pieces on their way home or to render a rifle safe period.
Adogs maybe a skilled individual and some others as well, but to suggest that a precarious method be adopted by the crowd is irresponsible and down right mean. All it is going to cause is more locked up out of time rifles that have to be abused to get then unlocked.
Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Vicasoto
OK Yoda, we went through this all once before you showed up here like some kind of prophet & no one reported any problems at all. Give the dummies some credit.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Wait just a minute, Soto, I resemble that remark about dumb morons, lazy maybe, but not dumb. This moron is to lazy to get up from the PC, grab a gun (whoops) Arisaka and try. I'll continue doing it the way I've done it since 1949, close the long thing with the handle towards the back. The long thing has a tube inside with a pointed end, tube has a spring inside and a mushroom-shaped knob on the back. After closing I then pull the little thingie in the curved piece of metal under the bottom of the "gun." If it was loaded, it's not now.
And I've never broken the pointed end of the tube, the one with the spring inside.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,603 Posts
Added to the 'Interesting topics' sticky.

I must admit that this works with most of my 38's but almost none of my 99s.

I believe that a well lubricated sear ramp on the bolt will help; some of the sear notches are much 'steeper' than others, these are the ones that don't work this way.

I do not think that it does any damage to the parts, maybe excessive wear if you did it for a living, but occasionally no problem.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's hit & miss on the T-99s. If I had to guess, I'd say it worked on over half the '99s I've had. And hey! If it doesn't work - I just dry fire it. Neither of these actions will hurt anything if you don't over do it. I just prefer to decock rather than dry fire if I can.
That's all I'm gonna say about this. Geeze! Didn't know what I was getting into!

·
Silver Bullet member
15,603 Posts
Adogs,
same as last time, why are you surprised?

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Why did the little moron post on the same subject twice?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The first time was on the old board. I was just trying to be helpful & all I get is grief. I must be a moron. It won't happen again.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 35 Posts