Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not really sure what the exact term is but I have an almost complete East German Rain pattern soldier's uniform with the Helmet and Helmet Cover and most of the various pouches.

I can't figure out what they used for a web gear belt and what kind of belt they used for the pants. Maybe someone could post a picture of them and were to buy them as I would like to complete the outfit.

Also, what kind of boots went with this uniform?
Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Bingo,
Depending on which era of the NVA you refer to, the equipment varies. The UTV ( Universale Tragevorrichtung) was never officially issued, but perhaps saw use in tests. The other type, the grey webbing and grey belt were in use from the mid 60's to 1990. Before that, there was a Y-strap system similar to the Wehrmacht/SS...
I have both the UTV and the Grey webbing (Koppeltragegestell) systems if you are interested.
As far as the boots worn with the rain pattern Felddienstanzug....the schaftstiefel marching boots (jack boots) were standard issue for ground troops and the navy, while Paratroopers had a lace-up type jump boot.
Let me know if you need help completing you kit, as I am selling off some of my doubles...I'll get some pics posted...

MsG.
-d

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks- I will post some pics this weekend of what I have. It might be easier that way.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What type of belt do I need to complete this. Is there anything else I need as I have other pouches, bayonet and a shovel, not pictured.

Did these uniforms have any patches?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I can't get a clear view of the buttons on the tunic, are they covered or not on the shoulder and are there holes for shoulder board attachment? You have two UTV grenade pouches and it looks like the rest is earlier.

·
Registered
58 Posts
no unit patches or badges but you would have had rank shoulder boards. looks like from the uniform, you want the grey belt with grey painted buckle and the shoulder straps. you need one mpi-k mag pouch, bayonet, dark grey gas mask bag, bread bag(?), messkit, rolled shelter half, black dice cup boots, collar binder, id tag and wehrdienst ausweis holder. "b" pack, guys?

·
Registered
211 Posts
bingo, these are the belts you need... on the left the [UTV] one to go with the items with the green nylon fittings (the grenade pouches you have, although only one would be fitted on the belt, and mak holster), and on the right the one for those items with the grey fittings (the canteen and combat pack). the complete set of grey webbing (UTV was not around until the very end of the DDR) would be used with the uniform you have.

both belts are inexpensive and easy enough to find on the surplus market.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You're going to have to decide what time period you want to do; Late style was UTV, which of course was never placed into mass service. Everything else was earlier.

·
Registered
58 Posts
holy crap! how could i have forgotten suspenders!? you also need socks or the foot wraps. what about a cap? you could use either the camo field cap or the much more common uhhh pisscutter/**** cap (forgot the german name).

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I a "few" MPi-K mag pouches, bayonets, shovel as well as a drum pouch.
No Suspenders or Belt though.

I guess I would go with the earlier version- Suspenders, Grey Buckle and shoulder straps, green belt. I need a shelter half and messkit also.

What do these usually run

·
Registered
211 Posts
I a "few" MPi-K mag pouches, bayonets, shovel as well as a drum pouch.
No Suspenders or Belt though.

I guess I would go with the earlier version- Suspenders, Grey Buckle and shoulder straps, green belt. I need a shelter half and messkit also.

What do these usually run
the web gear with the grey fittings was used from the mid-60s right up until the end of the DDR, so this is what you need for impressions of this period (green belt is from later UTV set). if you're talking about the drum pouch for the RPD, i think only the grey/green vinyl type was worn with this set (not sure though), and if it is for the PPSh, that weapon was obsoleted by the time this gear was issued.

shelter half (zeltbahn) is fastened rolled up around the combat pack, and the messkit (kochgeschirr/essgeschirr) goes inside the pack. try ebay seller 'troegerb' for the zeltbahn (he sells the zelt itself, and also the 2x wooden poles, 3x metal stakes and length of cord you need to go with it) and kochgeschirr - i recommend him for all your field gear needs (cheap too - the items you want should cost you no more than $10 apiece).

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for your help!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Bingo..
I have everything you need.
If you'd like to bid on some of my auctions...check them out here

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgrossmachtQQfrppZ100QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0?

Otherwise send me an email and we can put something together.
I'm thinning out my collection and have some doubles. I have both style suspenders and belts, plus the shelter half, mess kit, socks, collar binds, foot wraps...etc. everythin mentioned by the other members.
LEt me know.
-dan

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
grossmacht- PM replied to- Check your PM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts