Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ever use http://www.davidtubb.com/finalfinish.html ?
They informed me they do have a Final Finish set of bullets for 7.62x54R but not loaded ammo. They don't show in the listings but they emailed that these are available.
I have to buy a couple boxes of Privi with Boxer primers and shoot them off to get the brass to load them.
Will be using them on a '67 M39 with a new bore that is going to become a sniper.
Looking to see if anyone got results similar to what they state in the testimonials.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
May I offer a suggestion?. First slug your bore to detirmine your bore and groove dimensions. And check with your source for the diameter of the Tubb's bullets. Could be a big difference between the two. I'd suggest once you get your bore dimensions you locate a source of cast bullets about .002 over the bore dimensions and use these to fire lap your bore. Since you said this is a like new or new bbl you could dispense with the coarser grits of lapping compound and start with 400 grit then 600 and possibly 800 but doubt you would have to go that high. Hope this helps. Frank

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought I would bump this to see if anyone has a review of the system when used in your typical Milsurp or Nagant. I have two Nagants that have dark bores but generally shoot really well. I have seen many positive reviews of this system on new or almost new guns but nothing on 65 year old military types ;) Thanks for the input.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,346 Posts
It's just another bore lapping system and they are invariably designed for use on new commercial barrels, not milsurp barrels.
If you have a "dark" barrel, just shoot it.
If you have a new barrel in your m39, do as Frank recommends and use firelapping compound. I do much prefer to hand lap barrels, since I suspect a lot of the fire lapping compound doesn't get too far down the barrel, but it is laborious and you have to cast a lead slug containing the grit in your bore.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for not getting back to this thread and closing it out with results.
I am a believer!
I've done five rifles now with the Tubb's polishing bullets, with intentions of getting around to doing a couple more.
Can I prove an accuracy improvement? No ... it is subjective but in my humble opinion, did make a difference.
Was the improvement from the Tubb's? There were other factors to consider.
The polishing bullets were part of an overall process starting with an "Extreme Clean" bore scrubbing down to bare as possible inclusive of repeated soaking cycles with WipeOut foam, copper cleaner and a lot of brushing. Once bare to the point where nothing more was coming out, they got a run of the Tubb's polishing bullets with the appropriate cleaning cycle every ten rounds.
After shooting the Tubb's, there was clearly evidence of polishing compound all the way from front to back and a very noticeable change in condition of the bore easily seen with the naked eye in comparison to an untreated rifle.
Extreme cleaned once more to remove the compound, the bores were then treated with MolyFusion.
Whereas I can't attest to any claims of MoyFusion improving accuracy, it sure do make cleanup 200% easier as crap simply won't stick and foul the bore anymore and it gets 90% clean with just some carb cleaner and a little brushing. Copper fouling is almost eliminated.
The crowns were polished and lapped, a key to accuracy.
The rifles are pillar post epoxy bedded and the barrels free floated.
And so ... it is therefore impossible to determine what role the Tubb's bullets played in the process but I am satisfied they do play an important role in the overall end results.

I was most pleased with results on a Winchester 70 in .338 that sprayed bullets almost at random. It did have a severe bedding problem with the front lug space being well chewed out. That one turned out to be a real tack driver with results that really amazed me and the owner. He has refined his handloads for some superb accuracy and continues to bang away with it.

I will certainly not hesitate to use them again for any rifle that is going to be a shooter! They seem to be a cheap and effective tuneup!

·
Registered
3 Posts
That sounds great, I really wish someone had before and after pics of a bore that had been done with these. I plan on doing it to my Nagants and other milsurps, but I need to get some reloading equip. first.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are some good pictures posted on the Tubb's web pages about the product. Visual comparison of the bores and direct comparison indicated a similar result to the pictures. Discernible increase in brightness and they looked ... polished.
What they can do to a well worn and hard shot bore, I really can't tell you. Some of my treated bores were in relatively pristine condition prior.
The .338 was in good shape but really loaded with copper deposits that required much soaking and scrubbing until copper cleaner and WipeOut was no longer producing blue patches. Removing that fouling may have done as much for the rifle as the Tubb's. The polishing bullets made a difference in the look of the bore that increased with each polishing cycle. That rifle took several weeks of work and the Devcon pillar post bedding and free floating the barrel had much to do with it. When completed, with recoil suppression, that hard bucking magnum was actually enjoyable to shoot and the accuracy far beyond our expectations. That vintage rifle went from a non-shootable hunk of scrap iron to a superb long distance tack driver.
For the price of a set of bullets, WTF, providing you can get someone to stuff them for you and they certainly didn't hurt anything!
I was certainly skeptical about the process to begin with and if you read the "testimonials" on both Tubb's and MolyFusion web sites, you naturally question if the claims are true or not.
I was impressed enough to continue on to do several of our "shooters" and just about every rifle we shoot regularly has had an Extreme Bore Conditioning cleaning with MolyFusion treatment.

In order to accomplish Tubb's polishing or MolyFusion treatment, you must first "Extreme Clean" the bore in preparation to bare metal clean. That requires many repeated cycles of scrubbing and soaking with copper cleaner and Shooter's Choice Extreme Clean foam and week long soaks with WipeOut foam.
As long as you are going to apply the MolyFusion, you may as well do the polishing bullets first as the MolyFusion is a permanent coating. The MolyFusion may have bearing on accuracy as it simply cuts fouling and powder accumulation a good 60%. Crap no stick!
That's worth it just to reduce cleaning time after regular shooting!
Not to mention, MolyFusion is one of the most effective rust preventatives going and treated bores are far less susceptible to rusting, especially with corrosive milsurp ammo. That is a clear and noticeable improvement over untreated bores!
It's all cheap, effective and appears to work. It makes a good "over the winter" project when you are bored and stuck in the cave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts