Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,237 Posts
I took out my Model 1895 Daudeteau Carbine today, tested it at 500 meters using ammunition I had got from Bob Shell and out of 10 rounds fired 8 hit the human steel target dead center.
I even loaded it from the stripper clip which takes a little to get used to ... overall it is a smooth carbine with excellent accuracy.
Patrick

· Registered
127 Posts
Ammo load test conducted 12/29/2008 6.5 Daudeteau (1871 Mauser action made 1879) , Temp 67 deg F, Elevaton 300 feet ASL
Propellant WC852 Lot 47287, Winchester LR Primers, Sierra 140 Gr. Matchking bullets
Norma Brass, OAL 2.780” (just off rifling and perfect length laying in loading tray prior to bolt closure.

Test 1 46 Grains WC852 ES 53, SD 22, Average Velocity 2572 fps (5 rounds)
Test 2 46.5 Grains WC852 ES 57, SD 21, Average Velocity 2604fps (6 rounds)
Test 3 47.0 Grains WC852 ES 32, SD 13, Average Velocity 2638 (6 rounds)

Note Lot 47287 was a slow lot of WC852. The gov’t load in 30.06 ball was 60.1 grains for this lot. There are two variants of WC852, fast and slow. Any lot requiring more than 54 grains to obtain velocity was wavered and classified as a slow lot. The slowest of these lots required nearly 62 grains to obtain velocity and was only authorized for MG use and not authorized for Garand rifles. Lots requiring less than 54 Grains were considered fast lots.

· Registered
127 Posts
Final load data on rifle done today.

45.3 Gr. N160, 140 Gr. Sierra MK, Win Primer, formed Norma brass

10 Round Chronograph run

Low 2630
High 2680
ES 50
Average Velocity 2655
SD 13

Apparently the barrels on these rifles are not stress relieved as once the barrel started to get warm it started walking. First six shots were 1 3/4" at 100 yards, then shots started diving towards 6 o'clock. Last four shots group opened up to 5 15/16" 9 shots go in 4 7/16".

Sight in lowest position POA 6 O'clock on 25 yard rapid fire pistol target fired at 100 yards. Vertical group. From POA first six shots are 1" right and 3" above point of aim.

Striker spring is soft. Bolt was disassembled, spring stretched and reassembled. 48 hours later the spring is back to the same length thus allowing reverse primer flow to some extent.

· Registered
2 Posts
Daudeteau 6.5x53.5 Valude

I just bought this Rifle from a person that had no idea what it was. After cleaning it, I was able to identify it. It's Great. The Riflilng is awesome, and I'll be ordering ammo for it.

My questions is. I don't seem to be able to find one anywhere... Gunbroker.com gunsamerica.com... the rest of the internet. Is this a really rare rifle?????? I know only 10,000 of these were ever made.. from: http://armesfrancaises.free.fr/FR%20Daudeteau%20cal%208%20mm.html

What could it be worth????

· Registered
127 Posts
Don't know about this action but the original ones made on the 71 Mauser actions start about $350.00 and go up.

Order ammo???? I think you better plan on making your own from 7;.62X54 Russian brass. I am waiting for Grafs to get a big load of PRVI brass for this caliber now. I like the PRVI brass (already using it in 7.5 Swiss) over the Norma brass.

When working the brass you need to stress relieve the area starting about a half inch below the shoulder and let the heat run to the neck.
YOU DO WANT WANT TO TURN THEM RED WHEN HEATING ! ! ! !

YOU WANT THEM TO COME OUT LIGHT BLUE

STRESS RELIEVE THEM BEFORE AND AFTER FORMING OR YOU WILL LOSE CASES ON FIRST FIRING DUE TO NECK SPLITS, SHOULD EXPANSION AND SHOULD SPLITS.

Loads listed work fine in MY RIFLE and they are the min listed loads.

I think if I was going out to buy a propellant for this thing I would get V V N165. No faster than N160. WC852 slow will be hard to find as GI Brass . com (where I got mine) is out of it for several years now.

I would not go any heavier and lighter can get you into trouble with loads below 80% of case volume.

Dies are going to be exciting to find as well. Me and my buddy got the 2nd and third sets RCBS ever made. Here is some more poop and pics.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=4545&goto=newpost

· Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,237 Posts
Bob Shell makes ammo for it .... I got some from him for mine, it works very well and is very accurate. His website is http://www.aco4u.com/ammo/amomil.html ... just be sure to tell him you need the Original French 6.5x53.5 cartridge as the rim diameter is smaller than the Mauser conversions. I will be reloading for it from now on as I just got my dies for it.
What number is yours lobo ... mine is 116 and has the S Shield above the serial number.
Patrick

· Registered
2 Posts
Daudeteau

Thanks for all the info.

Mine has 88 on all the main parts. Including the stock has an 88.

It does have the S within a Shield, and all the usual marks of this rifle.

I also have a sweedish mauser (Sniper) and those are running for about $1600. If I was a collector looking for these French Daudeteau's in 6.5x53.5, I would quickly realize that they are not common at all, which would make me think that these rifles have to be quite expensive.

What do you guys think??? Not that I wanna sell it, but I continue to wonder who has a reliable value source...

· Registered
127 Posts
Don't know about valueable but you have sure joined an exclusive club. "International Daudeteau Shooters Union" haha I started loading for it in 1980. Anybody predate that?

I have a contact in Uruguay who knows folks that like them and he has tried to get data from the government there. Seems they had a civil war there in early 1900s and alot of stuff was burned. I have asked him to go to them and ask about records.

They were also built on Remington Rolling Blocks. One was on Gunbroker.com a while back. It didn't sell and may be there now. Even has a picture of armorers working on them.

· Registered
662 Posts
I know people nowadays might correct me on this but from what I`ve seen these guns go for in ok shape( stock not beat all to hell, no broken parts, has cleaning rod, etc.) around $700 and up. With the bayonet , which is even rarer than the gun itself, it could go for as much as $1400. I saw one sell online about a year ago for almost $2000 but it was in great shape and had its bayonet but in a scabbard (that bayonet so far has been the only physical example I`ve personally seen). I too have a daudeteau that I bought from a dealer friend for $90 about ten months ago because he didn`t know what it was exactly. Today it is estimated that less than 5,000 still exist of both gun and bayonet and it`s considered the holy grail of south american bolt actions at least that`s what I`ve been told anyway.

· Registered
819 Posts
Just got one myself and formed shortened annealed brass from 7.62x54R brass, made me two 20 degree shoulder button bushings (one for .268 cast bullets and one for .264 jacketed bullets) but don't see why you cannot use a 260 Remington sizing die going just deep enough to kiss the shoulder of the std. 7.62x54R Russian cartridge.

I seated 129 grain hornady jacketed bullets with a 6.5x55 swede die over 42.5 grans of IMR 4350, nice med load that mapped 1 MOA low at 500 meters on the 400 meter sight setting.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.