Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A French built (St. Denis) 6.5x54R rifle built on a German 1871 receiver for Uruguay recently fell into my hands. It has 90%+ bluing on the barrel with the receiver left in the white, and a pristine bore.
Does anyone know a value range for such a rifle? Is there any known history to these rifles? I can't find any information in any of my gun books about it.
Donnelly's Cartridge Conversions has information on reloading by using 7.62x54R brass. Can this be done without buying specific dies for this caliber? I don't want to give Midway $150 for a set of reloading dies. Also does anyone have any successful reloading data for this cartridge suitable to the strength of the 71 receiver?
I am unable to post any photos at this time. Any help would be appreciated.

Stray

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The top rifle in Vivelacolo's display is what I have acquired, brass trigger guard and all. My specimen has a darker walnut looking stock. The rifle was preserved in a coating of dust, dried oil and cigarette smoke residue. It must have hung on the wall of a bar somewhere. The serial numbers on the bolt,receiver,and barrel match.
I bought it from a gent who had acquired it at a previous gun show for $125. I offered him $250, which he said scared him. He would have let it go for $150 as he had no clue as to what it was. I ended up with it for $300. Sure wished I would have low balled him.
Thanks for the information gentlemen.

Stray

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.