Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I guess it might also help to post the barrel inspector markings of my Izhevsk rifles that have them. The rougher of the two 1943's is in my post above.

DSC_1122rs.jpg

DSC_1033rs.jpg

DSC_1053rs.jpg

The 1944 M91/30 and the 1945 M44 lack them.

Also, here's the barrel shank markings on my 1933 Tula.
DSC_1071rs.jpg DSC_1026rs.jpg DSC_1084rs.jpg

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I did forget two important notes:

1) These inspections apply to M38/M44 carbines, but they do not apply to Factory No.74 SVT38/40.
1939: ?
1940: ?
1941: ТС (early/mid), БФ (mid/late)
Data on this is incomplete. Unsanded matching Izhevsk SVT38/40s are very tough to find, and when found are usually SVT40s from 1941.

2) In 1945, an additional inspection was added to the stock. Its a large diamond with what I think is "жЕС1" (not sure of first letter, other numbers may be possible). This stamp is found on all stocks from 1945 until the end of production, so we know that the stock pictured below is from early/mid 1945 (no liners, ОГ inspection) and not 1943.

1945 (an M44, not M91/30 like the others)
View attachment 961901

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Here's the top of the barrels of those three. TE is the earlier 1943, 3M the later.

There looks like there's probably an inspector's mark on the front top of the 3M's barrel shank next to the hammer and cycle, and the inspector's marking on the barrel of the TE is in the usual place.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
For reference (serial numbers and such), here's the tops of the barrels of the other rifles I've posted in this thread which I haven't posted the tops of the barrel shanks of yet. Also, the attached are the serial numbers on the buttplates of all of the rifles I've posted in this thread as some proof that the stocks are the originals to the rifles.

DSC_1038rs.jpg DSC_1118rs.jpg DSC_1031rs.jpg

To help alleviate confusion, what rifles I've posted in this thread are a 1933 Tula M91/30, a 1936 Izhevsk M91/30, a 1940 M38, two different 1943 Izhevsk M91/30's, a 1944 Izhevsk M91/30, and a 1945 Izhevsk M44.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,739 Posts
2) In 1945, an additional inspection was added to the stock. Its a large diamond with what I think is "жЕС1" (not sure of first letter, other numbers may be possible). This stamp is found on all stocks from 1945 until the end of production, so we know that the stock pictured below is from early/mid 1945 (no liners, ОГ inspection) and not 1943.
Here are the diamond proofs from two 1946 M44s. The proofs on my '47 and '45 non-refurb M44s aren't legible:

They read "NEC4" and "NEC7" respectively. Not sure why there's an "N" rather than "H" or "И" on a Russian stock, though? :confused:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Oh, also this is the pattern of bayonet lug that the 1945 M44 has. This varied in 1945, so I think it might be also useful as reference for me to post it.

Edit: And I don't have a much better close up on the diamond marking on my 1945 M44, but it has NEC7 in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Good thread with a lot of helpful information. Thanks.

However, if I wanted to date an Izhevsk stock, I would try the flowers and candy approach.

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
For all of you who contributed to this thread, thank you for the valuable collector info. One of the many reasons this is the best site on the web for sick 'Mosinitis' people like me! :clap:Annnnd, this should definitely be a sticky if possible.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I also have an oil finished '43 Izhevsk 91/30 I will post pics of up tomorrow. Has a few different characteristics than your typical shellac finished '43 Izhevsk. Makes me lend credence to the idea that the shellac finished rifles were actually unissued during the war prior to their shellacing during arsenal storage post war.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Updated. I've been meaning to do this for awhile, but just never got around to it.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
I have an ex-Ejército Popular Spanish Civil War Izhevsk 1933-dated 1891/30, barrel and buttplate/stock serial numbers matching, that has the (пп) marking and the hammer-and-sickle CCCP cartouche/emblem.

Also the same on a refurbished 1927-date Izhevsk 1891/30 so-called "ex-dragoon" that was imported more recently... Obviously a replacement stock. Not so the ex-SCW.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have an ex-Ejército Popular Spanish Civil War Izhevsk 1933-dated 1891/30, barrel and buttplate/stock serial numbers matching, that has the (пп) marking and the hammer-and-sickle CCCP cartouche/emblem.
The CCCP roundel was not in use until 1937, so someone replaced the stock with a nicer 1940/1941 stock, probably from a Finnish import, after its arrival in the US.

Check to see if the left side of the barrel has the acceptance with Cyrillic initials.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Apologies. "My bad..."

The roundel/cartouche has the hammer-and-sickle, and I can see the letter "C" but I assumed it was CCCP I guess. I suppose it could be an RSFSR mark. Similarly, I can see a round stamp with at least one "п" but I'm not sure about the other letter since the marks are very faint.
I looked for my magnifying glass, but I must have taken it into work. I can't see the metal marks on the left side of the barrel unaided. I'll double-check when I get the chance.

The stock is original to the rifle. It has SCW-style wire sling hangers, and the whole rifle was slathered in cosmoline/ "cannon grease" when I got it. Also the butt plate number matches the barrel serial number, and there is enough crud/patina/etc. around the inlet for the butt plate and the screws that I do not think it was removed and added to a later stock.

Again, apologies for mistakes on the interpretation. Hopefully I'll be able to see them up close soon.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
OK. So the cyrillic letters on the 1933 are much more blocky and angular, but it looks to me like both the left side of the receiver and a very faint mark on the right side of the butt stock are (ЛФ) except they are so blocky they almost look like some kind of kanji!

Actually, I think it might be the reverse order... I think I was looking at it upside down... "F then L" or ФЛ...

The 1937 is much, much easier to identify:
В) So "ge" "Ve"...

You guys have really good powers of observation!

·
Registered
627 Posts
1940 Izhevsk Finn capture, non-refurbished 91/30 with (MA) stamp. The rifle is original matching with the original stock. ЖT Prefix on the rifle. Thank you for this guide on Izhevsk stocks!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts