Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently acquired a asfa, ankara, 1935, g88/05. as the reciever has been scrubbed and restamped (with the "n" in ankara reversed) is there any way of telling who made this rifle and when? i have not taken it out of the stock yet, perhaps some proof marks would give an indication? thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I don't believe there is any real way, since the whole top of the receiver has been scrubbed.

Is yours the type that is in a Turk 1903 stock with a newer 8mm "stepped" barrel?

Or is it just a rebuilt 1888, still with the barrel jacket, 88 stock etc. My Turked 88/05 still has the Spandau 1892 date on the receiver, where my 88/05/34 is totally scrubbed with just the ASFA 1935 on it.

This is the issue with many "non gun people" or overcautious sellers at gun shows or online. Some will refuse to sell the 88/05/34's as pre-98 antique because the only visible year is "1938" or whatever it is and thus they say it's not an antique.

Since it's built on an 1888 reciever and the ATF acknowledges that NO 1888 Commission rifles were built after 1898, these are all antiques, but some sellers say they can't tell when it was made and go with the rebuild date.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.