Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to ID the model and date of manufacture of a Rolling Block 16G shotgun that just came my way.

Total of the markings are:

Serial number, two places on upper and lower tangs Number is 334xx

Left side of breech block marked "N"

Right side breech block marked "16"

No other markings.

This action can best be described as "Beater" grade, and I was considering whether it would be safe to re-barrel to a black powder cartridge, such as the 38-55, or 45-70. After it was reconditioned, of course.

Failing that, if it is safe to do so, one of the pistol cartridges, to make a shorter range plinker from it.

ID and dating, are my first interests, however.

The barrel that was on it, had been welded shut at the breech end, and was pretty far gone in any case.

The action looks very near the same as the Number 5 action seen here http://www.skydevaaben.com/husqvarna/model5/hva5receiverleft.jpg , with a more pronounced cutout to clear the flared out sides of the breech block.

Any pointers to sites or sources of info, would be much appreciated, thanks!

Cheers
Trev

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
That is definitely a commercail shotgun action. Were there any markings on the barrel like Husqvarna or the crown over stylized H (see my avatar)? Was the barrel a 16 ga? Pics of the stock (forend and butt) would help to identify the exact model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Rolling Block Shotgun ID?

There were no markings that I could find, other than the mark for alignment of the barrel, located on the underside of the breech ring.

The barrel looks to me like it had a life prior to it's being a shotgun, as there is a flat insert soldered into the area under the foreend attaching ring, as well as a small square patch, brazed in, a few inches back of the muzzle. Bayonet lug perhaps? The bore is also not concentric with the outside of the barrel. A rebore from an old 12.7 or 8mm barrel?
Aside from that the metalwork inside the bore shows considerably less signs of age than the patina on the outside of the barrel might indicate, though that is subjective, I suppose.

There are no markings on the wood, which is light colored, and wavy grained. Looks like a booger to work with. Looks like it was too tough to make for a good chew for a dog, though it looks like one tried on the foreend.

Barrel length is 32 inches and a bit, from the breech face forward, the octagon portion is 7 & 7/8ths long, with the wedding band an inch in front of that. The octagon measures 1.025" at the face of the receiver, and tapers to .925" at the front end. The bore is .670" at the muzzle. Muzzle is .825", plus or minus, and is .095" on the lower wall, and .050" on the upper wall thickness, at the muzzle.

The action is 1.312" thick across the front end.

Thanks!

Cheers
Trev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Trev
I also have a similar Husqvarna gun in 16 ga. It has double ejectors, one on each side of the action. It's a slightly heavier (thicker) action, 1.365 in. I think that's correct. The right side of it's barrel ring is higher than the left side. It has the "H" stamped on the breech block with the "stop hammer" feature. It's off being re-barreled into a 45-70. Very nice fancy wood on the stock with cheekpiece , not as nice wood on the forearm. Serial number range is 843xx. I too have wondered at the date of mfg.of mine....?

Cheers, Roy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Double extractor Rolling Block.

Methinks you are a lucky man!

That sounds like a Model Number 5 Express action.

I only know anything at all about those, because of this site http://www.skydevaaben.com/index.xml

I see mention on this site that the safety hammer was brought out in 1902. (in the description of the Number 1 model.)
Does not tell if it was common to all the guns made after that date, or if it was just an option that would not have been original before that date, either.

Cheers
Trev

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
Trev;

I believe your gun is a model 12 with several modifications done to it. First, I believe the butt stock was added later. Also, the band around the barrel with the tab to fasten the forend was also added later. The key to identifying the model is the barrel which is about 1/3rd octogon changing to round. I don't have any data on rolling block serial numbers and production dates, but there is a reference in a book on Husqvarna guns to an N marking on the model 12's starting in 1932. At least that is what my very poor understanding of Swedish leads me to believe. Perhaps one of our Swedish members can translate the entry on page 44 of the book "Gamla Svenska Jaktvapen" for us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts