Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit back, I picked up a Bulgarian AK 74.I did not have any ammo for it so in the safe it went.I liked it from the get go, seemed lighter and just nice.Well, I got a shipment of 5.45x39 today.Ammo is cheap.First thing I noticed was these cartridges are puny compared to 7.62 rounds ! They look like tiny tots.So I loaded up a magazine and went to my back yard ,100 Yd range and took a few shots. Wow almost NO recoil !! This is a very pleasant rifle to shoot.And let me tell you those puny rounds are quite potent ! They will blow a filled gallon jug to shreds.And its accurate..I love this thing.You guys who have one know what I am saying.My AK47's are taking a back seat.I just need to find more mags and another 74 or two, three,,,,Here is a few shots,and a photo of the 5.45 next to 7.62x39.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was using silver bear which seemed to work well,The silver bear also uses a boat tail bullet 60 gr.I will pick up some golden tiger to try out.I will also be getting a few of the Russian spam cans to store but most likely will use the Tiger or Bear for back yard shooting.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I thought the 74 was going to be a whimp compared to my 47's but I really enjoy the thing...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just put a Slidefire stock on my AK-74 and it is a hoot to shoot!!! My friend from Iowa visited and after shooting it literally ran out and bought both a "74" and at Slidefire stock. He called me today to tell me he shot three coyotes with in last Sunday. He is hooked and bought over 2,000 rounds of ammo for it. Now I will have to try mine on coyotes too......

·
Registered
156 Posts
love my Saiga in 5.45x39, I converted it back to the real AK look. love the ammo price, can use any mags including surplus. Only thing is it needs a muzzle brake, or a real AK74 front sight base swap with brake.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,454 Posts
They even make a SAIGA in 5.45 with a heavy 20.5 inch barrel. I got lucky and it came with the "Dragunov" type Russian stock and square cut bottom front trunnion.

Brand new 2011 production. No ugly line outs removing the old importers name too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys are reading my mind,I am thinking Saiga.I will not be getting rid of a bunch of 47's. I have stashed away to many rounds for that, and for sure the bigger round has its place.But clearly I have been missing out on the 5.45 rifle.Seems to me to have a lot going for it..

·
Registered
202 Posts
I got an Arsenal in 5.45. I'm 95% done with my 7.62x39 Saiga conversion, and I'm going to sell the Saiga with it's magazines. AIM had spam cans, 1080 for $130, of 5.45 ammo. I got one can, I'm going to get a few more. The Arsenal is my new Zombie rifle. Now if I can only get the stupid red dot I put on it to stop wandering I can use her for my 3-Gun rifle.

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,105 Posts
I've had AK74's for several years now. Great shooters, easy to handle, cheap ammunition and nice looking with furniture options and optics rails on many. Great rifles. The prices kinda creeped up but still a good value.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.