Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Labor Day weekend had us passing thru Buda, TX, so we pulled into Cabela's to have a peek. In their used rack, they had several items that caught my eye, including a really nice Danish rolling block at what looked like a reasonable price, but I wasn't quite sure. I went on home figuring I had to do some research, and checked the web for prices. Once I decided they did have it at a fair price, I went back on Labor Day (Cabela's was a zoo!) and after waiting in the "take a number" line for an hour and a half, managed to talk them down another 10%!

I haven't had time to take pics of mine yet, but attached is one from Old Town Station. Mine has all the same markings and cartouches, except my SN is about 8K higher. Condition is about the same with an excellent bore. I don't have the bayonet, but there are several I'm tracking on various auction sites.

Does anyone have a handload for this? Barnes says you can make brass by trimming 45-70 by 90mils. I've read other places that's not a good idea, as the base is slightly wider.

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,223 Posts
pogue, there are several things you need to be aware of with your new rifle. 1. When these rifles were first imported years ago (50's and 60's) many were reamed to chamber the 45/70 cartridge but this is (IMHO) dangerous because the base of the 45 Danish round is larger then the .500" of the 45/70 round. Hence, point 2, the case could rupture at the base...not a good thing. The best thing to do is to do a chamber cast of the rifle to see if it remains in its original chambering or if it was reamed out to accept the 45/70 round. Either way, Buffalo arms can supply the correct cartridge case which will allow you to shot the gun. I've had two over the years and they are fun. I hope this helps. Steve

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I just dropped a 45-70 case in, and it stopped (you guessed it) about 90 mils short, so it still must be in the original caliber. I did notice a bit of slop near the base.

I had already checked Buffalo Arms, and will call them tomorrow for brass and bullets. Haven't decided if I'm gonna spring the extra $110 for dies. I suspect neck sizing with my 45-70 die set should be enough.

Have you tried any smokeless loads? Barnes recommends 29-34gr of 4198. But I'll probably stick to black powder.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I am presently importing many older 8x58 RD related postings into the new Scandinavian firearms boards. Check them out...

Carcano

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re:Danish rolling blocks(45-70 cases)

I have fired hundreds of rounds thru a Danish rolling block using 45-70 brass back in the 1960;'s when you couldn't get any other kind of brass(unless it was 43 mauser from CIL, i made 43 spanish from it, it worked very well).As long as you never full-length sized, i had no problems.The thing to rebember is check the chamber length, some had unmodified chambers and some were lengthened by having a reamer-run in,which also enlarged the rim size. The only thing i didn't like was that the Danish rifle has a slow twist, so don't shoot anything heaver than a lyman 405 grainer, it won't shoot good.I can't offer any smokless loades because i NEVER use smokeless in a black powder rifle, all it takes is one mistake and you've ruined a good rifle, my father ruined a Remington Rolling Block Creedmore barrel with a double-charge. The action held but the barrel was bulged just ahead of the chamber.You know how RARE a Remington Creedmore target rifle is? I forgave him because he was 75 at the time and not all there, i later had to send him to a assisted-living place, he liked the place(it was full of old ladies, he was a ladies man to the end).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Danish Roller

I too have a Danish rolling block. The chamber on mine's been "hogged out" to the point that a 45-90 case will almost seat. I use 45-70 brass and black powder. One othe thing you'll want to consider is bore size. If I remember right it's on the order of .463 so .458 bullets will be loose. If cast soft @ 20 or 30-1 they'll probably bump up to fit but a better bet is the inexpensive Lee 90268 405grn hollow BASE mold. With the sloww 1- 28 in twist this bullet works well and can be cast from wheel weights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts