Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - trying to educate myself and not make a bad purchase. I just stumbled across an auction for a supposed Danish-rework K98, which features a receiver-mount peep sight which (IMHO) does not appear after-market. It is a CAI import.

Is this a legit rework, or a Bubba job from long ago? I've never heard of this particular postwar variant. i've attached pics so you can see what I'm looking at.

Thanks much for the info.

Best - MP

Attachments

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Kinda' reminds me of a 1903a3 rear peep site---not that it's identical, but some kind of spin-off of a 1903a3 style.

Look forward to further info.

BAF

·
Registered
659 Posts
After WW2, the danes had some k98k's rebarrelled to 6,5 x 55. These were not for the military, but for shooting clubs. The peepsight was probably installed by a previous owner. Maybe this rifle is one of those? Try posting it on the Krag forum. The danes there should know.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,462 Posts
Yes this is correct.Navy Arms was sellingthem in the early 1990s and had quite a few on their tables at OGCA when it was in Cleveland at the IX Center. they may have bought all from century and resold them.At the time they were asking 225-250 for them.Some had missing sights.They also had the M-1 carbines with the K-ART stamped on the back of receiver or tang.I see it has the extra stock lug at the wrist.I dont know if the orginal stock was swapped and a Yugo rework 98K stock put in its place.If it has t big SN stamped on the side of stock parrallel to the buttplate then it may have a Yugo rework stock.I dont know if the Danish used this extra lug in the wrist.It is a cool rifle with the rear sight.I didnt buy one back then and wish I had.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting. the one I'm examining has the original BYF 43 and waffens on the receiver, along with "Mod 98" on the rail. Also, the front sight is original K98 - not a target sight. I've attached a pic.

Is it possible that it is still in 8mm? Also, any idea on value? Seller is asking $600, which doesn't seem unreasonable if it is actually a formal Danish conversion.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
925 Posts
AIM sold a few of these a few months ago. Not sure if there is a way to look at the price they were sold for but they went fast. I think $600 is a great price if a Danish rework. If it has the original k98k front sight I bet it's still in 8mm. I would imagine the re-barreled 6.5x55 would be more desirable.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking it up on their archive, they went for $395, but they were the 6.5 versions. No pics remained, so I can't tell if they were identical to the one I was looking at purchasing... That makes me think $600 is high.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.