Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up one of these in auction a few days back, wish I could post some pic's, but I've tried three different computers and can't get it to work. Anyway, it is in nice shape, but I haven't been able to get the cylinder pin out of the revolver to clean the bore and cylinder. Does anyone know if there is anything special I should do? Seems like the side latch lever may be involved, but haven't found the magic sequence and don't want to force anything in fear of breaking something.
Also, I've read that these will take .38 Colt Short rounds with no problems, has anyone else loaded for the Danish cartridge or found this to be correct? Thanks and regards, Guns

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Is this what you have? Sixth photo (not drawing) down: http://www.littlegun.be/arme belge/artisans identifies e f/a fagnus gb.htm If so, it's a .45 cal not .380. I have one in 9.4 Dutch. If this is what you have, to remove the cylinder pin, rotate the cartridge ejector out of the way, pivot the side lever until parallel to the barrel and the cylinder pin slides out. I would post photos but I also am photo post handicapped. As far as I know all of them are Belgian made. Look on the cylinder face for a Belgian proof mark, ELG and a star enclosed in a oval.

·
Gold Bullet member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both, IJ70, sent you a pm about the e-mail. Ben Gunn rev2, it is a very close model to the Fangus revolver you
pointed out, although no maker marks that I've found. It does have what looks like a Danish crown over 1880 on the forward bridge. I'm pretty sure it is in 9 Danish revolver caliber, not near large enough for a .45. Your help was very useful, I just got the cylinder pin out, but had to take the very small retaining screw out of the side, then with the lever horizonal to the barrel got it to come out. Looks like it should come out with the screw in place, but for some reason it needs to be out. Same goes with putting the pin back in, I guess not quite enough swing to the lever with the pin in place.
Just tried a .357 dia bullet, falls right through the barrel, thinking it may be .380 dia like the 9.4 Dutch round. I'll need to slug the barrel tomorrow. Anyone know where a person can get pistol weight .380 bullets or a mold for casting? I have two models of the Dutch revolvers and would like to get them shooting also. Thanks and regards,

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I don't think yours is a Danish military, Guns. Elsewhere in the website I gave the link for, is a picture of a Danish Fagnus, it has a six in. barrel and is not blued and the text states they were cal. .45. I can't presently find that part of the site or else I would have posted a link to it.

Here are photos of what I have. Top revolver is in cal. 9.4 mm the other is 11mm French. The one with the sideplate open is the 9.4. Well, the upload seems to have worked: Cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Here are some more photos you may find interesting. First is the 9.4mm cylinder showing markings and next is the 9.4 field stripped. The 11 mm French is exactly the same except slightly larger.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Ben rev2, Those are two beautiful revolvers you have there, the Fargus is pretty close and I'm sure made in the same patents, but I've noticed some differences. Most obvious is an odd safety toggle on the left side below the hammer, my barrel extends flush to the yoke as yours extends slightly past, your cylinder has some type of notch where mine has none and I've found no manufacturer mark, other than most parts are serial numbered (matching), I've only found a crown over 1800 on the forward backstrap and a crown on the right side above the grip. I have found a reference in the Handguns of the World, which shows a picture of the same revolver states it as a Danmark M/1880 caliber in 9x17R Danish. Those are some really nice photos you posted and have been very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
In his book "The Revolver 1865-1888" the late Tony Taylerson says "By 1888 many countries had approved revolver pistols for troops and officers carrying holstered arms ------Denmark (1) Troopers' revolver LEFAUCHEUX-FRANCOTTE (Mod 1882), 10.9 mm centre-fire. (2) Officers' revolver LEFAUCHEUX-FRANCOTTE (Mod 1886), 9 mm, centre-fire". Unfortunately he did not give any details nor any photos.

Peter

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly the same gun as you, exactly. Same markings and everything. It was my great, great uncle's as he was a maritime officer in Danmark. I really want to find the history on this gun. It is definitely Danish, hence the crown markings. I'm not sure it was even fired more than once, really. There are no distinct markings to show any wear at all, and it is in 100%, mint new condition. Does anyone have any idea how I can find out the name of the man this gun was issued to, #520? 1880, K T, and the Crown are stamped on the top front strap, any ? Any idea what K T is? Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts