Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all,

Coming to you all for clarification before committing to shipping a muzzleloader without a FFL. I’ve read conflicting statements online as to whether one is required, so what’s the truth?

I ask because I’d like to list one here for parts or refurb. A friend has given me a damaged one to sell for them, looks like someone may have put too hot of a load into the breach. If I could also get a suggested list price that would be great too. Thank you all.

Looking forward to your replies!

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
57,887 Posts
generally speaking, most black powder/muzzle loaders are not considered firearms, so no FFL

however , some, are basically modified centerfire rifles (remington made one, for example) or will take a centerfire barrel, (CVA or someone similar makes one now)
those do require a FFL, because the can be easily converted,

I'm fairly sure you have no issues shipping that as a non firearm (or not a regulated firearm)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Looks like a Traditions Timber Ridge and judging by Google image searches for them... they could be purchased for around $100-150 brand new....... personally I would pay nothing for that one unless I really, really needed a parts rifle, and even then maybe $20 might be too much. That thing is destroyed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Warning signs everywhere: I have brought several factory muzzleloaders back to life. None of them were that far gone. There has to be some positive aspects to the recovery project. Really, that gun has problems in all areas . I wonder if the breech plug is rusted in? Note the dings on the receiver. Also, is the piece loaded?

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Just so you know, Illinois treats muzzle loaders the same as any firearm and they are only transferable through an FFL. I am sure other states are the same way.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Yeah, that rifle is toast. Your buddy is lucky he is not wearing it after overcharging it, Im sure if you take off the stock and sights that would be about all that is worth saving. I would not touch any working parts from a rifle that endured an overcharge like that.... Just ,my 2 cents......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't be discouraged. Find a ML rifle after hunting season that has not been so badly treated. I have bought second hand blackpowder firearms that had been traded in fully loaded. An owner of a pawn shot had taken in an inline taken in on a trade. He asked me to look at it. I took it home where two powder pellets and jacketed bullet in a sabot came out. Point being, you always got to look. Do not find you a BP project gun that Bubba cleaned once a year whether it needed it or not!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah, dealer here, was going to ad, local laws may come into play, and for junk, its not worth the effort.

Take it to a gun buy back program, and try to get some free cash.

·
Registered
385 Posts
NJ is another state that requires muzzle loaders to go through a dealer..... and I was told that even applies to BB guns.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check with the maker on shipping: I had returned a SCCY and a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk handguns for repairs. I bought from each maker a shipping label for $30.00. Went down to Fedex and shipped the guns.

Earlier, I had to go through my FFL guy to send a Ruger Vaquero back for repairs. On the most recent round my buying the shipping label had the gun directly back to Ruger and SCCY. These requirements on muzzleloaders is over the top stupid. My suggestion is to check with the maker of the gun on shipping.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
NJ is another state that requires muzzle loaders to go through a dealer..... and I was told that even applies to BB guns.
the laws say that to buy a BB gun / AIR rifle you have to be 21 yrs old. but to buy a shot gun or rifle you have to only be 18 yrs old. go figure it! I was told that if you passed a 10 hour HUNTER SAFETY course you can buy a shot gun at 16,?

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
^^^^Ditto!
The right buyout program could fetch $100 for it. At least twice what a private buyer might be willing to pay in any case..Maybe.
Lower cost entry level arm without much resale value to begin with. Do your part to help reduce muzzle loading drive-by shootings and get enough to buy some good ammo, or a nice Louisville Slugger.

·
Registered
295 Posts
^^^^Ditto!
The right buyout program could fetch $100 for it. At least twice what a private buyer might be willing to pay in any case..Maybe.
Lower cost entry level arm without much resale value to begin with. Do your part to help reduce muzzle loading drive-by shootings and get enough to buy some good ammo, or a nice Louisville Slugger.
LOL… then we will see it on a table in a news report about getting dangerous guns off the street.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts