Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, those things really work well.
I've had a fire pit in the yard for a few years which gets used irregularly, throws lots of smoke and isn't all that pleasant to sit around. The city frowns upon back yard fires but doesn't do much about it, so it's common to see fires in people's yards from time to time. Too many other calls on city resources to bother with the little things I guess. Besides, a CI dutch oven filled with Kilbasa next to the pit legitimizes it, right.

I dug out a tunnel allowing air into the center of the pit, put a grate over the hole and lit 'er up. I got a nice clean flame, almost no smoke and it was hot too, even with damp wood that's been sitting on the ground.

It's a sure bet that I'll be using it more often. I have a huge pile of tree limbs (city tree that fell in my yard) and brush to get rid of. :angry:

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
They do work well.
You can add to them as well beyond the basic tunnel & chimney.
Put a dogleg in the chimney & you have a smoker. cut a recess in front & cover with flat rock for ease of access. Put a stone slab on the opposite side dig back roofing & walling with more flat rocks & you have an oven.
Put 3 rocks around the top of the chimney & cover with another flat rock & you have a griddle when it warms up.

Do make sure whatever rock you use wont explode when heated though!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.