Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
These photos even make me proud! I'm sure that you are to the Nth Degree, too! (My Dad flew 32 combat bombing missions as crew chief in B-24 Liberators.)

The last photo of your Dad points out something to me that really stands out maybe in a negative sort of way, though not negative with your Dad....just the opposite! He has SIX combat ribbons and a "Ruptured Duck", including the Purple Heart and a Bronze Star along with 4 hash marks indicating two years' overseas duty. By using TODAY'S Army guidelines he would have probably 30 or more combat ribbons! I think in today's Army you can earn a ribbon simply by being on KP duty for a week! Too much, I think. Weakens and dilutes honor....or am I wrong? ( 26 years in the Navy for me, by the way).

Thanks for posting these photos, and thank God for people like your Dad!
Thanks for posting, neat pics and history and something to surely be proud of in every way. Hats off to all of them.
I ve had discussions about the current era servicemember's awards system. On one hand I can agree there appears at first glance to be alot of participation ribbons...on the other, this is an all volunteer force we are talking about that is essentially a global force for a neo-empire unlike any in history that day in-day out, year to year is deployed around the world in many, many countries. The true number tends to astound civilians who dont keep tabs on our government. So, I think it highly effective to present and recognize service both as motivational enhancements as well as career building steps. If we didnt, do you think young kids want to stick around working their tails off for no incentives? If you think they should just do it out of patriotic service, well yes, they perhaps do but that might only last as long as one or two enlistments and then we end up with retention challenges-which any force management minded leadership will tell you is not optimal always having to start over from scratch with new 'cruits. Yes, compared to the WW2 generation it appears we have too many but recall we were fighting an existential threat where such matters tended to recede on the importance scale, at least at the time, but just due tended to be valued once the war was winding down. It sure helped to have the ribbons etc for points for return to stateside!! I also think it has been documented that far too many soldiers were not recognized adequately, at least frontline troops, for far too long so in that sense combat vets perhaps should have received much more! Many certainly deserved it.
My granpa served in the US Navy from just after Pearl Harbor (enlisted first weeks of January 1942; for some odd reasons didnt enlist right away because he wanted to enlist in California of all places and it was simply travel time that was the determining factor; mustered out in Dec 1945 after being offered additional service time which he declined): he served the entire war on the USS Forrest DD-461/DMS-24 and received a grand total of a single individual award - minus the 'participation medals' - (Naval Commendation awarded 27May1945 for actions against a triple kamikaze threat during Okinawa campaign). Methinks that was way too meager of a medal count for him and many others. In contrast, I just retired and received about 12 major individual citations and numerous minor ones plus all of the 'participation awards'...and ironically, I think a part of some of those was a little too much:):). Not a complaint or boast, just an comparative observation although I am grateful superiors went to the effort to recognize my contribution.
Like many issues, there is balance that should be achieved; I would say the WW2 vets received too little and current members may or may not receive a little more but perhaps its worth in light of current requirements.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.