Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad was chief engineer of USS LSM234 in WW2. He passed away a few years ago. He left behind some sketches of shipmates he drew aboard ship and at Little Creek VA. I wonder if any of these guys are still around ?

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
those really are good, you should send each one to that city's paper, let them run it and see if family or friends respond.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My dad was chief engineer of USS LSM234 in WW2. He passed away a few years ago. He left behind some sketches of shipmates he drew aboard ship and at Little Creek VA. I wonder if any of these guys are still around ?
My father was also an LSM WW2 sailor...he is active in the LSM association.

If you would like I could give your info to him to include in the next newsletter.
Obviously we have lost many of these WW2 Vets,, but it is surprising how many are still around.

Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Tonka45, I didn't realize there was an LSM newsletter. That would be fine, if your dad wants to use the drawings or names and towns.

I know the CO had passed away. His name was Royal Rhoton of Phoenix AZ and was easy to research.
I sent a copy of his caricature to his nephew as he had no surviving children. The nephew appreciated the illustration.

Dad worked briefly as a commercial artist after the war, but had to settle down as a plumber to feed the family.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Austin.. I'll copy the pics and send to them then have him post to the newsletter...
Its actually called the LSM association I believe,, they have reunions twice a year now..used to be once,, but because of the membership passing along they make them coastal and more frequent

They published a hardcover book also listing all the names of crewman and the ship numbers

My dad was on LSM 36..

These ships were interetsing flatbottom and very small with mostly open well and decks,, very hard ride even in calm seas.

I got to ride on one in Thailand that was being used as a ferry...it was fun.

Take care
Kevin

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
He served in the Pacific. I think all LSM's served there, and none went to Europe.
He was in the Lingayan Gulf landings and Okinawa invasion. 82 days at Okinawa dodging kamikaze's. Luckily, small ships make difficult targets .

Interesting story; He told me that once off Okinawa, a kamikaze was aiming straight for his ship, which was loaded with munitions. At the very last second the Japanese pilot spotted an LST just beyond and lifted over the LSM and hit the LST, which became an inferno. Pure luck on his part, bad luck for the LST crew.

Here's pics of LSM-234 on NavSource. My dad took 2 of the pictures himself:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/14/14234.htm

·
Gold Bullet member
163 Posts
Dad's Navy sketches......

Austin...Great artwork by your dad....

It's fun how he nailed the personality types......

We all knew people like that in the service.."The Great Profile"...."Horizontal Bates" and "Ack "Ack Silva"......Nicknames for everybody....

Thanks for posting..

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Those are fantastic! Not only did your Dad leave you mementos of his service, but some of himself. I think it's safe to say he could see things humorously.

You have a real treasure in those.:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Austin ....spoke with my Dad..and he will forward any copies (electronic) you have of your Dad's sketches to the President of the LSM association,, the association covers all numbers of LSM (these ships were not named) and all types,,(there were troop versions, vehicle versions and even LSM-Rs --converted as beach support vessels with mounted rocket launchers),, someone will surely know either your Dad or one of the folks in the art work.

Take care
Kevin

·
Registered
490 Posts
Very neat thing to have!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Austin I have sent you a PM,, I have my Dad's latest copt of the LSM newsletter/magazine,,, I will send it to you and you can use the contatc lists inside to see if anyone knows of him...
Plus a BONUS LSM 234 is mentioned in this issue!!!!

Kevin

·
Registered
696 Posts
Great! Thanks for sharing those. You might want to submit a copy of those to Soundings (Navy Magazine) or enquire at Anapolis they might like to include in their historical archives. Awesome piece of history and a tribute to those men.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts