Gunboards Forums banner

Dad's calendars

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Big commander 
#1 ·
Dad was in the CBI in WWII (he also referred to it as the "FBI" Forgotten Bast***s of India) 1943-45.
Like many a soldier, he counted the days of his service. He did so on these home made calendars.

Here's a few more mementos of his service...

As you can see, he was an MP. One of his duties was going over Jap bodies looking for items of interest for military intelligence. These are a few things they didn't need that he kept.
The book he allowed he couldn't really remember where he picked up or if it was Chinese or Japanese.

I'm told this is something like a newsletter supplied to Jap troops. Mostly propaganda and of no military value. I haven't a clue what it says. Anybody read Japanese???

Dad somewhere in Burma...

See less See more
#4 ·
Man you've really got some excellent stuff.
Looks like you dad kept everything!
Yes, I'm very fortunate. One thing I have is an OD covered note book. Dad mad notes of his service in it. Not a diary, but there's quite a few things of interest such as the note about seeing his first air action in the war. (he was a spectator on the ground)

Plus he kept those GI tourism handouts the issued, and equator crossing certificates, almost every issue of the CBI roundup while he was over there (and a stray Stars & Stripes) as well as other things. He had a cigar box full.

Thanks for the tip about asking on the Jap forum. If I find out, I'll come back with the answer.

I'll have to trot some of them out. Should be of interest on this forum.

#5 ·
Looks like there won't be any translation. I used the word "Jap" on their forum and apparently that's not politically correct. They as much as told me to forget it.

#6 ·
for those of us whos parent`s and relatives fought and died in WWII to use the word "jap" is common, thats the way we were raised, it bothers me that a person or persons want to change history becasue a "word" offends them, FDR`s speech thats etched in granite in Washington after the Japs bombed Pearl, they left out the end, "so help us God" they didnt want to offend anyone, I`m sure if my parents were alive today they would surely be offened

#11 ·
update. Wasn't able to get the translation after all. Some other one day.:cool:

#12 ·
May I suggest that you contact a Professor in Sinology (Japanese and/or Chinese) and let him/her point you in the right direction. They won't do it themselves but have students (I hope) that could give you a general idea what these texts are all about. Languages are no mystery, you just have to find somebody who can understand them. The best way to go is finding Asian students who are eager to be in the West and please don't be fooled by the expresion "Ho ... this is antique text, we are not able to read it anymore". A cook at an Asian restaurant me have problems, not the geniuses who make it to your Universities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.