Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got some heavy ball ammo that came with my 91/30. when i take it to the range the first couple shots go decent then after the gun heats up the bolt does not open without a good kick and i sometimes need to take a ram rod down the barrel to get the case out. did i not do a good enough job cleaning out all the gunk or is it that heavy ball is not good for my 91/30 and m44

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
The Czech ammo has a laquer on the cases to keep them from rusting, and when used in an MG acts as a lubricant. But when used in a bolt gun, the stuff heats up and acts like a glue. If you take a chamber brush and chuck it into a drill with some brake cleaner or some solvent, you can polish the chamber area and this helps a lot with what is commonly referred to here as "sticky bolt syndrome."

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
1) Are sure it is Czechoslovakian heavy ball?
2) What kind of case does it have?

• brass?
  • lacquer covered steel?
  • copper plated steel?

Generally speaking, heavy ball was not made specifically for rifles. However, what you describe sounds like the chamber might still have some gunk in it. Soak the chamber in hot water for a few minutes then put a 12 Gauge brass brush into the drill and use the drill to scrub the chamber.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
"While not as common as the later steel core light ball from Czechoslovakia, this ammunition is just as reliable and accurate. However, the lacquer coated cases may cause extraction problems if the chamber is not clean."

I had to quote from the link that you posted. I think it's priceless, in this situation. ;)

I use a 20 ga brush, myself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha ya i used to brush and with my m44 it not so bad but with my 91/30 it a pain i guess ill take it apart again and work with it somemore what have you all used to get the gunk and cosmoline out i used a q-tip after i heated it up any other suggestions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts