Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a Vz52/57 (thanks 8x57mauser!) and have some questions:

1)In the cut out area for the sling, the marking "OTK 2.97" appears. What does it mean? Was this a quality inspection marking from 1997?

2)Also, is it typical for these rifles to be non-matching? I suppose many were built using existing Vz52 rifles?

3)The magazine has a star marked on it. What does it signify? 7.62x39 mag?

Thanks!

Here's some photos of the details in questions as well as the new rifle with it's Vz58 replacement.

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No cracks that I can see. The rifle doesn't show much wear at all. I know it's a common problem with the Vz52, but I can't believe this stock would be susceptible to cracking - it's so heavy! The thing is built like a tank.

I think the only thing that matches on this one is the stock and receiver. The stock has been re-numbered, though, so I suspect it was rebuilt at some point.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Can anyone answer question about the star on the mag? I see it on some mags but don't know what it represents.
Maybe because back in the old days Czechoslavakia was under the governance of "the communist system", and the star was their icon, I would heavily surmize, errr, unless you are writing a book on the subject. The star didn't indicate anything special like sniper grade or use such like that, in case you were wanting to know about values, I mean, the blue book of gun values covers alot of stuff when trying to figure out resale values on things, but they never did talk much about markings, I can see the need to know.

I mean, I have a few of those 52/57 mags like that with the star, it don't bother me a bit, but of course, I suppose if I ever even wanted to sell off alot of mine I guess being able to tell people what the star means could come in handy. Sounds like you got some magazines to sell? Am I guessing right? Ha, I mean, good gosh, if a person had too many magazines to sell, these things can have so much value you'd have to practically list them on yer taxes, haha, errrr, well, everyone does to be sure, except these days they aint worth much more than fifty bucks apiece. But that brings back to point number one, too many businesses sell things and don't even know what they have, etc, it has always bugged me.

Maybe someone else knows what the star means, I mean, its got to mean something, I mean, someday I might sell off a couple of my mags or trade some off and I should know as well myself! I mean, I haven''t hardly even looked mine over, maybe there are some other "sniper grade" markings on there, ha!

·
Registered
66 Posts
ammolab,

Your are absolute correct. The Vz 52/57 magazines were a separate production. My point is that I originally speculated that the star might be an identifying mark for the Vz 52/57 mags but abandoned that thought because it's so easy to tell the difference between Vz 52 and Vz 52/57 mags. That was just a guess. Long and short is I don't know why a star is stamped on some mags, but somewhere out there is an answer. I remain curious.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Three of the five mags I have have a star. I didn't see one on the other two.
I also have 3 mag pouches dated '62.

·
Registered
268 Posts
All the talk of VZ's got me to break mine out. It's a "AYM" marked 029(crest)56.
It appears to be mismatched with no import marks and the finish is a nice worn patina.
receiver is pretty rough, lots of tool marks. Reminds me of late war German or Soviet weaponry. Haven seen any info on the 029 56 markings. Any info?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I picked up a VZ 52 with 320 rounds of 7.62x45 the guy never fired the rifle said ammo was to hard to find, but I noticed that the receiver says SHE crossed swords then 58 does not have 52/57 but from what I read that when they did the change over it was done in 1957 so the caliber should be a 7.62x39. the barrel is stamped Century arms 7.62x45. but I have seen these stamped this way but the rifle is really a 7.62x39 so how can you really tell this is a 7.62x39 and not a 7.62x45 since the receiver is only stamped SHE 58. Thank you

·
Registered
275 Posts
Rhodesia,

I am under the impression that 52/57's were purpose-built, and few or no 52's were converted to 7.62x39. Aside from being marked 52/57, these later rifles had a pin that went through the receiver and barrel that the 52's did not. I'm sure you can check through the older posts in this forum and find many photos of each type rifle.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello I picked up a VZ 52 with 320 rounds of 7.62x45 the guy never fired the rifle said ammo was to hard to find, but I noticed that the receiver says SHE crossed swords then 58 does not have 52/57 but from what I read that when they did the change over it was done in 1957 so the caliber should be a 7.62x39. the barrel is stamped Century arms 7.62x45. but I have seen these stamped this way but the rifle is really a 7.62x39 so how can you really tell this is a 7.62x39 and not a 7.62x45 since the receiver is only stamped SHE 58. Thank you
Take the bolt out and try dropping in a X45 round. If it doesn't go in all the way you'll have your answer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts