Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Causing the sticky bolt phenomenon? Are these loaded hotter? How are these compared to the ALbanian 54R? thanks

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,085 Posts
I don't believe that Czech Silvertip causes sticky bolt. I have 13 Mosin Nagants and Czech Silvertip is my favorite. I have no problems with it, but I do adjust all my bolts and I blame extractor issues for the problems. If you have problems with it, I'll buy it from you.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
Czech silvertip is notorious for "sticky bolt syndrome". They are not loaded any hotter than typical surplus 7.62x54r. The problem is a combination of the lacquer coating on the case and a dirty chamber. It is much better quality ammo than the Albanian and more accurate in my experience. However, the brass cased Albanian will not stick unless the chamber is extremely dirty.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
It only causes problems for me when I fire 100 rounds or more in one sitting and all that melted laquer builds up and causes the bolt to stick.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,038 Posts
I've never fired over 40-60 rounds in one sitting.
Czech silvertip has been velly good to me.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Cz shoots magnificently in my rifle, and I've never had it bind up the bolt any more than another flavor of milsurp. Actually, as much as I liked Hungarian YT, it bound up my bolt pretty badly, thanks to higher pressures I'm sure.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,734 Posts
Shoots very good in most of my MN's ... but after 30-40 rounds the bolt starts sticking on most of my rifles

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
I quit buying it because only one of my rifles did not have the sticky bolt when I used this ammo - I do not bother buying it when I see the ammunition for sale - However, hte ammo was accurate......One shot at a time......& yes I cleaned the chambers on the rifles....

Pahtu.

·
Registered
226 Posts
More likely to bind in some of my rifles. It's obviously well made ammo, but it is more prone to stick than some of the more highly regarded milsurp rounds.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
It is good ammo, but the stickiest that I have found, in my 10 Mosins and 3 PSLs. I won't even shoot it in my PSL, anymore. As noted above, I attribute the stickiness to the lacquer as the hotter they get, the more they stick. Albanian being brass-cased would be one of those that I have never had sticky case issues with. I have never had an issue with ANY brass-cased ammo sticking.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
I have had sticky extraction with copper washed ammo and I think with brass cased ammo, but I can't remember with certainty. It was a rifle that I shot a lot and hadn't cleaned the chamber in a long time. I had a pierced primer and got a little gas blown back. I was using it for my ammo evaluations and by the end of the range session I could barely get it open. After cleaning the chamber and bolt it was good to go again even with lacquer cased ammo.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
I have fired Czech, Romanian, and the U.S. milsurp 7.62x54R out of the same rifle (which had a sqeeky clean chamber) during a visit to the range. My experience was that I had issues with the bolt sticking, the worst being with the Czech ammo and the best being with the U.S. milsurp ammo available from CDNN. As a matter of fact, I could fire Czech ammo to the point of having to smack the bolt open and then load five rounds of the U.S. milsurp ammo and have it cycle flawlessly! Go figure!

Tim

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
Hey, I just thought of this and it may be a crazy idea, but, has anyone tried removing the lacquer from the Czech ammo? Perhaps wiping down the rounds with a lacquer thinner might do the trick. What do you think?

Tim

·
Registered
314 Posts
seems like this is a tomato, tomata type of debate.

i have found that each of my rifles likes a particular brand and type of ammo. i would suggest that you buy a small quantity of any ammo before buying in bulk to make sure that your weapons like it.

if you have a ton of ammo that none of your rifles like then you could either sell the ammo or take this as an opportunity to find one that does :D.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hey, I just thought of this and it may be a crazy idea, but, has anyone tried removing the lacquer from the Czech ammo? Perhaps wiping down the rounds with a lacquer thinner might do the trick. What do you think?

Tim
It works. Get busy with a can of acetone, a clean rag and time to kill. Keep it away from your rifles while busy, don't do it indoors or with cuts on your hands, and don't even THINK about doing it around a cig or open flame of any kind.

But I have tried it and it does work, if you have time so spend polishing your cartridge (insert joke here)

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
It works. Get busy with a can of acetone, a clean rag and time to kill. Keep it away from your rifles while busy, don't do it indoors or with cuts on your hands, and don't even THINK about doing it around a cig or open flame of any kind.

But I have tried it and it does work, if you have time so spend polishing your cartridge (insert joke here)
Well, it looks like I have my work cut out for me. I definitely will try it with a batch of rounds because right now, my Finnish M39 is the only rifle of the three that tolerates this lacquer finish.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tim

·
Registered
192 Posts
Czech Silvertip sticks to varying degrees in all my Mosins. If I pull the bullets, reduce the powder charge to 43 grains, and re-seat the bullets, no more sticking. Conclude what you will.

Still kicking myself for not buying that case of 80s Czech with the copper-washed steel cases at the gun show last summer. Almost as accurate as the 60s Silvertip but no sticking.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts

When you want one of the best, even if a bit sticky. It is very accurate in my many MNs, but can get to the point where the rubber mallet comes in handy. Guess I need to clean chambers better.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
...[snip]If I pull the bullets, reduce the powder charge to 43 grains, and re-seat the bullets, no more sticking. Conclude what you will.[/snip]...
Y'know, in light of this, the Czech ST does seem to be one of the faster light ball flavors. That may have something to do with the sticky extraction...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts