Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
13,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ammo question yes, but figured you guys might have experience with this cartridge, and ya'll shoot a lot. Plan to use this ammo for my first shoot with the one and only PU. '44 Izhevsk, Early Century with new bore and perfect '44 dated Progress scope. Can handle corrosive cleanin', no worries.

Anyway shot a straight stocked M39 coupla' years ago and was amazed by the accuracy, figured it was the rifle. Forty rounds and fed flawlessly. Ammo I shot has '63 bxn head stamp, silver tip. Probably the combo of rifle and ammo. Two shots one on the X ring and one touchin' that hole in the ten. Three shot group one hole, on the ten ring. Offhand shootin' at fifty yards, the best thirty cal shootin' I have done...no brag just the facts.

Checked this round out on Ted's evaluation section. Seems to be a hundred FPS faster than most all of the surplus evaluated. Considerin' the accuracy and slick feedin', should be great in a PU.

Any of you PU shooters shot this ammo, and what were your results? Thanks for any info.

Lancebear

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Czeck through an M-39 is a match made in Rifleman's Heaven.

I have simular results in accuracy.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,084 Posts
I like it. You must have bought it a while back. I haven't seen any in a long time.

·
Gold Bullet Member
13,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MM,

Yep a few years ago, don't even remember where from. Eight boxes, four left. Rainy day ammo. Czechs sure packed it well, cardboard loops around each round. Best Mosin ammo I have, like it was made yesterday. Organized ammo the other night and figured out what I shot with the M39.

LB

·
Gold Bullet member
13,468 Posts
It was made by S&B and is better than average milsurp.. I have had OK results with it in a PU, better than many Soviet block LB. I used some 63 and several others years. I was struck by the smell when fired. Many swear by it in a PSL. The match and target ammos available now are way better than any milsurp though. I too like the boxes better than any other Soviet surplus. They are pretty good material for barrel wrapping too, if greased.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have shot Czech 63 in my PSL. I agree that it seems to be a significantly hotter load and has a peculiar smell, before and after firing. In my particular gun it is as good as the best of surplus including 7n1, but I also get remarkably good results with regular Russian surplus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts