Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good evening.
I enjoy collecting Czech pistols and have never been into rifles.....until I got my first VZ-52.
I have since been wondering about other Czech rifles and thought I might ask for some recommendations.
Does anyone have any suggestions for fun and interesting rifles that are not too expensive, or is the latter just not an option these days? Im asking here as my knowledge pretty much ends with pistols so any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks.

-MTL

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
First you need the Czechoslovak Army rifles:
VZ98
VZ98/22
VZ23
VZ24
VZ16/33

After that you can start on the Czech export rifles. :)

Seriously, export VZ24 rifles, especially Romanian, and the VZ98/22 which was sold to Turkey after Czech service will be the least expensive. Gunbroker and Proxibid (auctions) are your friends.

I bought my first Czech rifle, a Romanian VZ24 at a gun show in April 2009 for $200 + $16.50 tax.

I bought my first Mauser rifle, a Chilean M1895 short rifle from Hunters Lodge in Shotgun News about 1962 for around $20 and followed that with a German K98k short rifle from a neighbor about 1963 for $25.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,133 Posts
One of my favorites is the VZ54 Mosin sniper.

Reactions: Dallased

·
15,946 Posts
One of my favorites is the VZ54 Mosin sniper.
I thought we were looking for inexpensive rifles in this thread. :)

OP: "Does anyone have any suggestions for fun and interesting rifles that are not too expensive?"

~~~

I'll match your VZ54 Soviet-designed rifle and raise you one!

Romanian PSL

Night Vision

·
15,946 Posts
Target of this thread (inexpensive Czech rifles):

Romanian King Carol VZ24

Turk (ex-Czech) VZ98/22:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for this list. I didn't know if this would even be a possibility these days so I'll start keeping my eyes open. As I said I don't know much about rifles so that's for sharing your thoughts. I am trying to keep this in the 'affordable' category, which I know if relative, but I have plenty of other sectors of the collecting world that keeps my wallet empty.

Geladen, its funny you posted the 'ye old hunter' ad. Ive recently been doing some research on another project and have been searching through 50s-60s 'Guns' magazines and always like seeing these.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
195 Posts
"Inexpensive" has a new meaning, nowadays! I agree, Romanian Vz 24s and Turkish used Vz 98/22s are usually the cheapest Czech rifles, but it always pays to be on lookout for anything! I scored a really nice matching Iranian (Persian) contract 98/29 for $550 about two years ago. Incredible workmanship/quality, as with pretty much any well preserved rifle from the period.
I know of a Romanian Vz 24 for sale now (not mine), send me a PM if you're interested (not sure if I can link to for sale listings, or if it's just active auctions which are forbidden).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.