Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CzechVZ52.jpg 014 (2).jpg 013 (2).jpg 011 (2) (1).jpg
Ipurchased a Czech M52/VZ52 from Classic last week. Condition described with minor crack stock-good/very good condition.
I noticed a small crack at the top of the butt stock which was no big deal, then I checked out the loose bayonet. Folding out the bayonet exposed a large over 2 inch hole with long cracks extending down the right dside.
This damage was concealed under the folded bayonet and I am sure it was missed by accident before shipping.
I have contacted Classic.
Any thoughts? What would you guys do?
Regards, Dave
P.S. sorry the pictures are dark .

·
Gold Bullet member
10,623 Posts
Price paid?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Price paid?
Classic has these listed at $499.99. Given that these are the bottom of the barrel and were advertised as having cracked stocks, it may be difficult to get much traction for a refund. Classic does appear to have an elastic definition of "minor" stock cracks given some of the tang cracks I've seen in some of their recent surplus videos.

·
Gold Bullet member
10,623 Posts
I would return it if possible.
Big +1

It's entirely possible if not likely that I'm living in the past concerning prices, but in my opinion the rifle in question is not worth $500.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I recently bought one of those, it was slathered with dark red paint/varnish of some kind that was falling off. I had to sand/strip it (I know, but had to do it) and it was cracked in several places, no holes though. It already had an arsenal repair on the wrist and upper handguard (common) and several other cracks that I was able to clean out glue and clamp. Looks decent now.

It had about 3lbs of sand in it though, never seen so much in a rifle. It was mixed with heavy oil and was a real mess. After cleaning it up the internal parts were OK, firing pin retaining pin and spring were broken - looks like lots of dry firing. Absolutely nothing matches. It was obviously well used somewhere.

BUT, the bore is like brand new, as well as the gas parts, looks like it may have been re-barreled/rebuilt and threw in a sand dune. No rust/pitting anywhere. Bayonet was hanging out as well, another common thing, easy fix with a dremel - you tube vids out there. No import marks either which I found kinda odd.

All in all it was not worth 500 IMO, 'good' is subjective, I would call them 'fair' with well crackled stocks. You could obviously see the cracks on mine even with the 1/8" thick coat of red shellac so they didnt miss anything lol.

I always wanted one of these so I bit at 500, dont really plan on ever shooting it. I would trade the good bore for a better stock but it looks right at home next to some other well used com block guns.

I would think they would at least send you a different stock, I hate buying fresh milsurps sight-unseen, you never know what they will send..

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sent the pictures to Classic. William at classic responded quickly sent me a return label no problem.He wants to make it right and will be sending me a handpicked replacement. I will send pictures and update. Classic is standind behind the sale with no problems so far. Dave
P.S. Yes I know the $500.00 is high but I have always wanted one per my Czechoslovakian heritage. The ones on GB all had cracks and refinished stocks at this time. I never saw one at our local gun shows too.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I sent the pictures to Classic. William at classic responded quickly sent me a return label no problem.He wants to make it right and will be sending me a handpicked replacement. I will send pictures and update. Classic is standind behind the sale with no problems so far. Dave
P.S. Yes I know the $500.00 is high but I have always wanted one per my Czechoslovakian heritage. The ones on GB all had cracks and refinished stocks at this time. I never saw one at our local gun shows too.
Glad to hear they are working with you. Hope the replacement is in better shape!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Good deal, I didnt think they would argue about sending a replacement on that one.

While 500 is a bit high that seems to be the going rate for well used ones these days. Only ones I have seen around for 500 or so lately were a couple older century imports with the bedliner finished stocks and completely wrecked bores. After the cleanup I would say I'm satisfied with mine, I always like different rifles just to spend a few days learning everything about them. Never realized how many countries these ended up being used in.

Now you need a CZ52 pistol to go along with it if you dont have one :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just picked up my replacement Czech M52 rifle at the Fed X store.
No problems nice rifle with small repairable hairline crack on right side of stock, weldable crack on butt plate.Left side has a non detectable line which does not feel as a crack , maybe wood grain which I will check during complete field strip prior to going out to the range.. William can through at classic. I am happy .I will send some pictures soon.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Never purchase anything C&R from Classic PERIOD!
I disagree. However, you are buying surplus....don't expect NIB items. I do understand if you don't like customer service, or lack of it. I have always had good dealings with Classic. They sent me parts that broke during shipping on an M39 awhile back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand ALL about surplus, However the condition of these rifles in the ad was described as having minor cracks .I had No problem with that. The first one delivered had a hole larger than a golf ball in the side of the stock under the bayonet. I sent pictures to Classic ,They agreed sent me a shipping label . I returned the rifle for a better slightly cracked . It was an honest mistake.
No problem, Classic stood by the sale . They missed the large hole under the bayonet rifle . A common mistake if the bayonet was not extended ,you could not see the large hole. .
The matter is closed. I continue to buy surplus from Classic and other supplies without any problems. Move on.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
A couple of years ago I bought a Makarov from Classic. They were advertised as brand new, still in cosmolene, and for I think $10 extra they would "hand pick" one for you. When I spoke on the phone with the sales person (who was very pleasant to deal with) I asked him how the devil they could "hand pick" a pistol if they were all brand new and in cosmolene anyway. He said they really couldn't, so I ordered and got a "non-select" (but absolutely brand new, pristine) Makarov. So much for my experience with Classic and its advertising/sales pitch. I have no complaints as to the pistol I got, but, as someone mentioned, Classic's definitions may be somewhat "elastic".

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
A couple of years ago I bought a Makarov from Classic. They were advertised as brand new, still in cosmolene, and for I think $10 extra they would "hand pick" one for you. When I spoke on the phone with the sales person (who was very pleasant to deal with) I asked him how the devil they could "hand pick" a pistol if they were all brand new and in cosmolene anyway. He said they really couldn't, so I ordered and got a "non-select" (but absolutely brand new, pristine) Makarov. So much for my experience with Classic and its advertising/sales pitch. I have no complaints as to the pistol I got, but, as someone mentioned, Classic's definitions may be somewhat "elastic".
I call Classic's hand pick option "my right to bitch" insurance fee. I've never bought a rifle from them, but the handguns I've gotten (all hand picked) are of 1st quality.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts