Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want thank you guy's that had a look my Czech Vz I posted yesterday. Wow, I'm amazed at the knowledge you guy's have acquired on these old firearms. As a "greenhorn", I have gotten migraine's trying research what I can and often wind up more confused than when I started, most certainly on this old wartime iron. I was recently gifted these old guns and I feel somewhat responsible to ID and document them as accurately as I can. With that said....I would love to have this K98 looked at and see what anyone can tell me what I have...again, thanks so much....Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
724 Posts
Your rifle is a K98k manufactured in German occupied Czechoslovakia. The were two waffenwerke producing rifles for the Reich, one at Brno(DOT and SWP marked receivers) and one at Bysterika(DOU). As you probably know yours was made at DOU(Bysterika) in 1944 early in the year I would think. It looks to be correct having stamped bands and trigger guard/floorplate. Lack of a serial number suffix indicates the first block of 10,000 produced in that year. They were numbered with letter blocks following the first 10,000 (beginning with lower case a and on through the alpabet, then beginning again with aa and so on). If you can take it apart without damaging it, the stock should be numbered to match the rifle on the inside of the barrel channel. The WaA 63 was the correct inspector marking for the time frame and factory of origin. Quality of the Czech produced rifles remained for the most part high even near war's end unlike a most other makers where finish, fit and even function declined markedly. Is the bolt serial numbered to match the rest? That adds to the value considerably. Nice rifle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike for responding and most certainly for the valued info. I actually did remove the stock from this gun not long after I got it but just for cleaning purpose and did not take note of any markings. As you know the breakdown is rather simple. I've been a novice owner of firearms for years but never actually had interest in Mausers until I was gifted a few. That inspired my challenge to gather as much quality info as I could. I learned early it can be a challenge. I will take it back down and post photos of what I find. Can't begin to thank you for your valued info and look forward to connecting again....Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.