Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,088 Posts

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Never had any trouble with Bulgarian light ball. Goes bang every time too. I have seen decent results as far as accuracy with it as well. May get a cracked case every now and again, but have never had any issues.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I've shot many thousands of rounds thru my Russian weapons including a Maxim 1910, SVT, Draganov and various
MN's. Imo it's the best 7.62X54R ammo out there. Accurate a few few FTF. The cases should be lubed with Johnson's Paste Floor Wax and set aside for a few minutes to dry. I am told by a very reliable source they were originally lubed with a similar product which has long since evaporated. I do that for my SVT, Draganov and bolt actions. On the bolt actions it reduces the heavy bolt lift substantially.
I've had problems of most of the other 7.62X54R surplus ammo of one kind or another but never the Czech Silver Tip.
$100 a case of 780 or 800, they cases have either number of rounds, is a terrific price.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Czech. ST has long been known to be some of the best 54R available.

The ONLY problems our club ever had is sticky bolt syndrome in the bolt action M/Ns.

I have known better 54R, but its moot, since it dried up long ago.

If you need more details try the Ammo bunker forum.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The cases should be lubed with Johnson's Paste Floor Wax and set aside for a few minutes to dry. I am told by a very reliable source they were originally lubed with a similar product which has long sine evaporated.
Have heard that lube on cases is a no-no. Increases pressure on the bolt considerably.
Also know several who do it anyway.
I haven't found a need to.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Have heard that lube on cases is a no-no. Increases pressure on the bolt considerably.
Yes, I have heard that also. Our resident gunsmith and some of the re loaders also strongly advised against it.

I'm sure it can get into a big technical debate, but we always play it on the safe side, so no lube on the cases for us.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
I have come to hate it - The ammo consistently seizes up the bolts on many of my MN's - I clean the chambers well & it works for a while, only to seize it up later - I have moved most of this ammo and never looked back.

Pahtu.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
When the paste way dries it leaves a powder like film on the surface of the cases and not an oily film like LSA or CLP would leave. As I said I have shot over many thousands of rounds thru Class III. semi's and bolt actions with absolutely no problems. Some in my shooting circle including some well known shooter/collectors have shot ten times what I have. It was those long time shooters that recommended the Johnson's paste wax to me. I am told the German's used a similar formulation on their steel cases as well to alleviate problems associated with steel cases.
But if one is doubtful then do what you feel is best for you. I can only relate what myself and many in my shooting circle have done.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I always felt like they are a tad hotter than other x54r light ball. The bolt carrier in my psl strikes the rear trunnion a lot with Czech st. Once when on one of my first range trips with the psl, the carrier locked back rear. Might have just been a certain batch of Czech. I have it in the light blue to almost light green boxes. The chart online that is referred to suggest its avg as far as velocity etc. I want to see more independent chrono posted here. I also have seen reports of it grouping higher on the target then other surplus.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.