Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my 82 from Aim Surplus, and it looks like a new one, except for a very very minor wear on the end of the slide. Anyway I am wanting to reload some RNL they are 93 grain Meister Hard Cast I would like to use either HP38 or W231 powder which I understand is the same.

Anybody got a starting load? Thanks in advance. Why did I post here, because I want someone loading 9x18, not many are doing so.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would load up a few and give them a try,I use 3.5 grs. of W231 or HP-38 behind the same bullet in my PA,I have a friend that shoots the Lee 95 gr. .365 cast bullet pan lubed in his 82 and on rare occasions does he ever gets any leading at all. He uses WW alloy and water drops for extra hardness. He tried the Lee Alox at first but got the results he wanted by pan lubing his bullets I would think the commercial cast you have should give equal results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info on the loads. That's what I was looking for. Been reloading for years, and even tho I can purchase Russian ammo for almost the same cost as reloading, its just one of those things. I now reload .223, but a couple years ago prices were cheap on it too, but today its different.

There will be a day when commercial ammo may be all be to high priced or not available at any price. Thanks again. I love my CZ 82!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wmgeorge are you buying your 9 x 18 brass or making your own from once fired 9mm brass. http://www.youtube.com/user/ammosmith#p/c/99275E2CA2F3C88C/5/_yrmgh3SToE
Since the little bugger tosses empties so far I have plans to make my own from 9mm used brass. I plan to use the Lee 9x18 resizing cutter and my metal lathe to trim the 1mm needed off the used brass. I then will then paint them yellow or some other color so If I go hunting for them, it will be that color I am looking for. I don't want to reload all the time, just some to try out in a somewhat softer load than the purchased.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I loaded up some of the 93gn RNL 5 with 3.4 gn of HP38 and 5 more with 3.5 gn of the HP38. Winchester SP primer and OAL of .965. This is using brass made from standard 9mm empties. At the range both loads seemed lighter than the 95 gn Brown Bear and of the two loads the 3.4 seemed more accurate. I will load up next time 50 of the 3.4 and see how they work.

Using the Lee brass trimmer for 9x18 Makarov was slow work and they did not seem all that consistent. I did a small trial using a Deamel tool with an abrasive cut off disk. I have it now mounted to my metal lathe cross slide and have the shell holder clamped in the tail stock drill chuck. The three I tried that way, were very consistent and the burrs left were about the same as with the Lee. A few more runs to find out if its Really going to work. :).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please define accurate... how are you shooting? bench? 15 yds? group size? I have a 1000 rnds of lead and 500 brass waiting to reload, and I want to load for my cz-82's as well.

D
Since I only shot 5 rounds of each, that was not a good test. What I was really after was a load, lighter than commercially loaded 95 gr FMJ, but using lead. I shot off hand at a white painted steel plate 20 ft away or so. I saw the three shots grouped together and the fact that the slide operated and no problems will take me to the next level of testing.

I am going to do some more cut off 9mm but using my Dremel tool set up. Sometime in the future I may purchase some Starline brass, and I will also use the chronograph to get some data. But for right now I am going to load more of the 3.4 grain HP38.

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
I use lead RN in my Mak "plinkers." (That's how I label the ammo boxes.) I worked up loads beginning with the recommended starting load, and then went DOWN until I got loads that would not cycle and lock the slide reliably. Then I went back up 0.2 grains for my standard plinker load. The benefit is that the recoil is practically nonexistent, so you can shoot all day with no pain, and the cases basically fall on your shoes. The downside is that the cases don't seal that tightly in the chamber when fired, so you get smoky cases, a lot of smoke back in the action, and eventually a black stripe on the side of your trigger finger where smoke comes out between the frame and slide. Never had a problem with leading.

I don't use 231 or HP38, so can't give you numbers for those powders.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Rezzing an old thread to say, just found a sweet spot for my EG mak. 5 grains of accurate #5 on these 93 LRN had me hitting a paper plate @ 50 yards not braced on anything, just standing 2h grip. They may actually be slightly hot to hit point of aim at that range, I am unsure. I do plan to weaken the load from here for shorter ranges, and only make these for occasional range trips (don't normally mak at this range), but there was no sign of overkill and the load is below the "do not exceed" values given for this setup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts