Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a problem I can't seem to correct. CZ52: When the slide is retracted the oval notch in the slide pushes the disconector/trigger bar down as it should, problem is the trigger bar will not spring back. The trigger bar seems to be hanging up on the hammer pivot-stud. I've used some grease on the contact areas of the trigger bar and stud and it does help.

The result is when the slide is retracted (w/o a magazine or with an empty magazine of course) the trigger must be pulled about 1/32 of an inch BEFORE it rests between the hammer stud and the sear lever. Once in this position I have the usual small amount of take-up before "feeling" the trigger bar engaging the sear lever (this small amount of take-up is of course normal)

If I drop the hammer (held back by finger pressure so not to break the firing pin) and hold the trigger back and then retract the slide (as if the pistol was being fired) I do not get the problem with the trigger bar sticking or falling down too low.

Update: I've replaced the trigger bar, trigger spring and trigger pin and the problem persists. Could the hammer stud be worn?

Kenny

· Silver Bullet member
1,029 Posts
Duuuhh....???

I'm just not getting a clear picture of what's going on here, Mate.
I'd have to see the pistol in person to venture much of a guess, really.

A lot of these pistols have some pretty rough machining marks on the internal surfaces, and on mine I typically stone them down a bit to reduce friction.

May we assume that you have taken the sideplate off and this issue persists (you kind of have to hold things together while you work the trigger etc. when you've got it's guts exposed)?

Note the stoning on the inside of the side plate - it was really rough in there and the trigger bar was sort of dragging on it. This sort of tweakage can go a long way towards a better trigger pull, btw.

I can't see how your trigger bar could possibly be getting hung up on the "hammer pin".
You can see the hole where the hammer $crew (this forum's bleep-filter will **** it out if I spell it out... how clever of it, eh?) - actually it's a bolt of sorts - passes through under and about a half inch in from the breech end of the trigger bar. It is held in place by a little nut on the right side of the side plate which has to be removed before pulling the sideplate:

Let us know if you get it worked out.

· Silver Bullet member
1,029 Posts
Kenny - are you sure that you're not getting your "Hammer pivot stud" mixed up with your SAFETY? That has a little "stud" that sticks out of one side of the cylendrical "drum" that rotates when you put the safety on and off. When the safety is "ON" that stud will block the trigger bar from moving forward.

Try fooling around with the safety lever while you conduct your experiments; sometimes they don't "click" into the detents properly and it may be hanging up in between ON and OFF, interfering with proper operation.

· Silver Bullet member
1,029 Posts
Are You Sure...???

Are you sure that you've got your safety in the off (down) position?

I just got one of my Czech O Matics out and fiddled with the disconnecter, and it "clicks" very much like yours does when depressed (slide off) but pulling the trigger pops the disconnecter back into the "up" position with another little "click", and taking up a bit more slack allows the hammer to drop (let it down easy; it's not good for the hammer to snap down without the slide on).

With the disconnecter pushed down, as it would be when the slide is out of battery, the trigger bar is taken out of articulation with the sear and thus will not drop the hammer even when the trigger is pulled all the way back.

If your trigger is not activating the sear / hammer when the safety is off and the slide is in battery, then I would suspect that something is broken or bent between the bar and the sear.
Those sears are quite hard and it is not unheard of for one of them to break.

Your trigger seems to have full travel, so I don't think that the bar is hanging up anywhere.

Have you had the side plate off to examine the inner works yet? That might help with the diagnosis. By study of my close up photo and sketch, you can see how things are supposed to go together in there, and by working your mechanism you will see how it works.

Be careful not to let a spring go flying on you!

Installing a sear:

· Silver Bullet member
1,029 Posts
Correction to my first post (can't "edit" for some reason);

The trigger bar in the lower photo is lifted higher than it's nomal functionin position.
The little "hook" at the rear end actually fits under the hammer pivot bolt. When the pivot bolt holding the back end down is removed, the trigger spring tends to lift it upwards like that.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correction to my first post (can't "edit" for some reason);

The trigger bar in the lower photo is lifted higher than it's nomal functionin position.
The little "hook" at the rear end actually fits under the hammer pivot bolt. When the pivot bolt holding the back end down is removed, the trigger spring tends to lift it upwards like that.
Uncle Jaque, thank you for replying and the photos. It sounds like your pistol is doing the same thing mine is! Yes, when you push down on the disconector/trigger bar you need to slightly pull the trigger up to get the trigger bar in line to contact the sear. Yes to your question of have I had the side plate off. I've had it off so many times I could do it in my sleep!!! Anyway I decided to take it out and shoot it for the first time today with some Romanian surplus 7.62X25. Zero malfunctions and it seemed to be VERY accurate. That "Pre-takeup" was noticed by several other friends of mine that tried the CZ52 (513) but maybe thats just the way the triggers are? If that condition is normal I would be somewhat shocked. My next goal is to try a few other CZ 52's in gun shops and compare triggers to mine. I am inclined to order a new hammer pin because upon close inspection it does seem to be worn a slight amount from where the trigger bar has been riding on it.

The great thing is I had a fun afternoon shooting this "snappy" pistol (snappy was how a friend described the recoil compared to a .45 we were also shooting).

I'll keep you posted.

Hag

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.