Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been re-examining my old Czech Mauser from 1976. It is all matching and one of those mentioned in R. Ball's 4th edition book as being sold to Spain (via Russia) in 1938. The left receiver rail is scrubbed. The crest on the receiver ring is that of a VZ23 as opposed to a rampant lion. I suppose this just a variation? Jim

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Vz.23 siderail

Hi Jim,
Neither Vz.22s nor Vz.23s had siderail markings, so you rifle is most likely not scrubbed. Is its acceptance code (E-lion-35?) stippled out? What is its serial number?
Regards,
John

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John: Yes, it's stippled-out. The s/n is 89xxK3. No slot in the front sight. The stock even matches and the finish is 90-95%. Thanks, Jim

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,747 Posts
I'm interested in hearing more about this rifle, I have one almost identical - Vz-23 crest, blank siderail and stippled acceptance proof. Looking forward to more info!

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
I also have an ex-Vz.23 receiver which was rehabilitated and built up at Brno in 1935-36 as a Vz.24, in this same serial number range. Many of these extra Vz.23 receivers (as well as some mis-marked lion-crested receivers) were assembled as Vz.24 rifles in the mid-30's in order to get a large number of new rifles into the hands of the Czechoslovak military after Hitler began publicly lusting over German-speaking portions of then Czechoslovakia. As many as 50,000 of these quasi-Vz.24s seem to have been built-up, only to be sold the Soviets who had them shipped directly to the Spanish Republican Army. At the end of the SCW, many were captured by Franco's Nationalists. Many of these were very skillfully refurbished in Spanish arsenals with bluing that is so highly polished that the phrase "Pimp my Mauser" comes to mind. :) These all were sold to Interarms in 1958-1960 and most ended up in North America.
Regards,
John

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,747 Posts
Mine is S/N 1689 L3, matching bolt, mismatched stock. Stippled out acceptance proof date is '35'. No slot in the front sight base for a sight hood. There's evidence of the barrel tip and front sight assembly being added later, there's a seam at the rear of the front sight base, and the barrel from there forward is slightly different in color. Mine doesn't appear to have been refurbed later, and it's not import marked. There are two proofs stamped into the handguard just in front of the rear sight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts